5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I Want C, Not G! (Home, fully patched)

Due to a hosed installation of WinME, I installed a new hard drive in a friend's Compaq PC yesterday, and put WinXP Home on it. I put it on the end of the IDE cable and put his old drive on the "middle" connector, so I could move his data over to the new drive after the XP installation. The new drive was showing up as Drive 0, so I thought everything was OK.

When the installation completed, the old drive was showing up in Computer Management as C, with the new drive as G. I figured this was going to correct itself when I got all the data off the old drive and pulled it out of the PC. NO! With just the new drive in place, it is still showing up as G, and Computer Management says Windows can't change the drive letter. How can I fix this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: I Want C, Not G! (Home, fully patched)

This problem is caused by Windows seeing he disk signature on the old drive, so realising that it is supposed to be drive C:

The only way I know to recover is to start again. Install Windows on the new drive with the other drive not physically connected (or not powered up). Then add the old drive to the system after Windows has assigned C: to the new one.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: I Want C, Not G! (Home, fully patched)

>> This problem is caused by Windows seeing he disk signature on the old drive, so realising that it is supposed to be drive C: <<

I thought Windows would assign C to Disk 0, and then go from there. My bad <grin>.

>> The only way I know to recover is to start again. Install Windows on the new drive with the other drive not physically connected (or not powered up). Then add the old drive to the system after Windows has assigned C: to the new one. <<

Since the user only had 20GB of data on his original 60GB drive, I just put it in by itself, then let the XP setup format it and install XP Home. Then I connected the farkled drive, and am now moving his data back onto the "old" drive.