New Lounger
    Thanks

Status of 'What's This?' Help

I'm working with a team to update our in-house style guide for software documentation, and trying to find out the status of "What's This?" Help. Right now we're using Windows XP, but we're also looking toward Vista. "What's This?" Help doesn't seem to be implemented in MS Office 2003 (at least not Word that I use mostly), which makes me wonder if it is still supported by Windows. I couldn't find any direct statements either way at Microsoft.com. Can anyone here give me definitive intel on its current status and its future in Vista?

Thanks!

Earl Morton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Status of 'What's This?' Help

You can get to "What's This" in MS Word through Shift + F1

Depending of the language your What's This Help were written in, you can find the solutions. For example,
    http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/...ta+and+Web.html

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, but I'm a bit confused. When I press Shift+F1 in Word, I get Reveal Formatting. If a dialog box is open when I press Shift+F1, I get the standard Help. Just in case you accidently confused Shift with Ctrl or Alt, I tried every combination of Shift, Ctrl, and Alt with F1, but never got "What's This?" Is there perhaps some obscure option setting that gives my Word different behavior than yours?

I also didn't find anything about "What's This?" Help at the URL you provided, but I didn't read all the threads. None of the titles seemed to be addressing it. Is there a particular one there you found that I should look at?

Thanks!

Earl

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You absolutely right about Sift + F1 in Word 2003. I saw this tip in http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/Office0...d03/basics.html and other places. I think it makes sense to put this question in Word forum.

My threads about VB6 refer to KB142249: How To Implement "What's This?" Help in Visual Basic or Methods of implementing What's This Help (Article) and so on. As I understand, you have plenty of home-made Help files and you experience difficulties to implement them in Vista environment, do you?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I'm not involved with implementing "What's This?" Help at all. I'm just updating our documentation style guide, which includes a description of it. Since I noticed that "What's This?" Help is not implemented in MS Office, I speculated that Microsoft might be reducing or removing support for it in Windows XP or Vista, and I wanted to confirm that. If "What's This?" is no longer supported, or not going to be supported much longer, then our style guide should probably recommend against using it.

Earl