Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to open Word file (Word 97?)

Attached is a 55 KB Word document of 8 pages that a friend sent to me in desperation because she is unable to open it. I am also unable to open it . I was wondering if anyone here can find out why it is unable to be opened, even though under Properties in Win Explorer, it appears OK and shows number of paragraphs and characters etc. It is part of an assignment she was doing at home and saved it direct to floppy disk. All other doc files on the same disk were able to be opened, just not this one.

If anyone can open it - please tell me why neither she nor I have been able to, and email it back to me at legglest@bigpond.net.au
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to open Word file (Word 97?)

I tried to open it in Word97, but was unable to do so.

If you need to get at the contents, it will open in WordPad, and you should be able to retrieve most if not all of the text. All formatting will be lost of course.

Perhaps somebody will come along with a better solution, but in the meantime you can at least work with the text.

Andrew C

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you , thank you, thank you. You people are wonderful. I hadn't even thought of trying to open it in something other than Word itself (such as WordPad) but I tried the second suggestion first, as I never even knew that existed - and the file opened straight away. And thank you also for letting me know the likely cause of the problem being the Fast Save option - I will recommend to Lynda that she turns this function off. Again, thank you very much both of you.

BAM

Hi Eggles,

I'm unable to open it on Word 97 as well, although it does appear to be a Word 2000 document. However that shouldn't matter. But someone with 2000 may want to try.

If all else fails, you can open it using the "Recover text from any file" format and retrieve the text. Just use File/Open and change the File Type.

Note that you want to change the file type back to Word Documents once you are finished since this is a sticky setting.

Also, you may want to have Lynda check Tools/Options/Save and make sure the Fast Saves option is turned off. There appears to be duplicated text separated from the rest. Fast Saves could be the cause of the corruption.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!