Thanks

Does anti-virus have a future?

Loungers might be interested in this article in today's Guardian newspaper.

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Does anti-virus have a future?

Interesting reading. Thanks for sharing it.

My view is that even if anti-virus software can't keep up with the hackers, it will be updated retrospectively and therefore is a must to avoid duplicate attacks. Better to shut the gate after the horse has bolted than to leave the gate open and let the rest of the farm escape too!
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you've probably missed something.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Does anti-virus have a future?

HERE HERE ! ! !

I also believe that major software companies are doing better jobs with their anti-software analysis programs to help prevent future attacks. These will likely stop the rank amatures and amatures with moderate skill.

The "Professional" cracker will always be a challenge, but once detected - you do NOT want to be continuously exposed.

NOTE:I just finished working on a system that had the ISASS.EXE virus (file should have been LSASS.EXE). The first letter of the file SHOULD be a lower case "L" NOT uppercase "I" (eye). The result, the entire computer was comprise and so corrupted, we had to format the hard drive and start over. Problem was, the boot sectors were so corrupted, I had to use an OLD DOS 6.2 boot diskette to format the hard drive so I could restore the XP Pro system. The way the virus got access tot he system, the user let the anti-virus software lapse and the computer was continusly connected to the internet.
    Scott