New Lounger
    Thanks

VB Basics (Office Xp)

Respected Sir/Madam
    I want to start programming on Visual Basic. Actually I am the student of chemical engineering, after working on MS excel i realized about macros which built on Visual Basic. so I want to learn Visual basic, but i am not sure from where to start. Can any one gave me idea of any of the books on Visual Basic. Thankyou
    With kind regards.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB Basics (Office Xp)

There are lots of free online sites that provide everything from easy overviews to in-depth reference. Perhaps look there before shelling out on a book. VBA at http://theopensourcery.com/vbover.htm is a good introduction and explains the relationship between VB and VBA, as used in Office. Here are a couple of others that came up on a Google search:

VBA - The Visual Basic Working Partner
    Writing Excel Macros with VBA, 2nd Edition - The Free Download eBooks Engine!

And of course, there's a ton of resources here in the Lounge that can be searched for.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB Basics (Office Xp)

If your focus is on Excel, you'll need to understand the Excel Object Model, as well as VBA code principles. In order of complexity, I like:
    Writing Excel Macros, Roman, O'Reilly Press, hardcopy of the PDF book Alan mentioned
    Excel VBA Programming, Korol, Wordware Press, very structured, helped me to get to intermediate level
    Excel Power Programming with VBA, Walkenbach, Wiley Press (or IDG Press?)
    Excel VBA Programmer's Reference, Bullen, Bovey, Green & Alexander, Wrox Press

A good general reference on VBA is VB & VBA Nutshell, Lomax, O'Reilly Press
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS