2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compile error (Access 2000)

In my crosstab query i have put a where expression [Forms]![F1]![office] with which to open a report. depending on the choise.However,on clicking the control i get the error "compile error in query expression Month[invoicedate]
    But without this expression the query works ok.Is it something with the crosstab ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compile error (Access 2000)

You'll have to find out where Month[invoicedate] is used - it should be Month([invoicedate])

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you are right, thank you ! After i have corrected this i again have another error , when i click on the control in the form.
    The Microsoft Jet database engine does not recognize Forms!F1!office as a valid field name expression.
    I have have put in the crosstab query the expression Forms!F1!office
    Is it because of the crosstab ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You must "declare" parameters in crosstab queries, otherwise they won't be recognized:

- Open the crosstab query in design view.
    - Select Query | Parameters...
    - Enter Forms!F1!office in the Parameter column.
    - Select the correct data type (probably Long Integer) in the Data Type column.
    - Click OK.
    - Save the query.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like to ask you for a further help since even though i did what you advised me i still cannot open the report. I am sending you a small example. Thank you for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The query in the database you posted doesn't refer to the form, so perhaps you posted the wrong version or removed too much.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry ! sent the wrong form.This is now the version with the form F1

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The query named 01 does not refer to the form.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something happens with my query and at the moment i refer it to the form the form is blank ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You keep on posting exactly the same query. There is no point in posting the same database again and again.
    The reason the query doesn't return any records is that there are no records in the Order Details table.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. Didnt mean harm.I just could not explain myself why the report is not filtered with the afid chosen. Please do apologize me.Thank you for your attention

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are lots of problems with your database.

I assume that you want to filter on the afid field in the Customers table, but afid hasn't been filled in, so you'll never get a record in your report.

The form F1 should be unbound, i.e. its Record Source property should be empty.

If you want to restrict the data in the report to those from the office selected on the form, you should either add criteria to the query, or specify a where-condition in the DoCmd.OpenReport instruction in the On Click event procedure of the button on the form.

Handling a report based on a crosstab query is far from easy, since the number of columns can be different depending on the data. The easiest "fix" is to specify the column headings explicitly in the properties of the crosstab query, so that you can use a fixed report design. Otherwise, you have to design a dynamic crosstab report, and this requires a lot of complicated code.

In the attached version of your database, I have done the following:

I added some data to the Orders and Order Details tables, so that it is possible to test.

I filled in values for afid in the Customers table, so that the query can actually select on afid.

I modified the query:
    - Added column headings.
    - Added a condition to the afid field that refers to the option group on the form.
    (In all versions you posted, there was no condition!)

I cleared the record source of the form.

And I have recreated the report from scratch, to include the extra column headings.

BTW it would be nice if the option buttons had labels, so that the user knows which button corresponds to which office.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Hans

A huge thanks for your email that actually has given a new twist to my database and the form now works like a charm ! There were a lot ot points that were not clear to me, how to construct the where condition, and also the details in the report.All these points are now clear to me and actually the dtabase is quite foolproof and i already strated working with with.
    Thank you very much Hans !