Star Lounger
    Thanks

Migrating/Backing up Account Settings (OL 2003 SP 2)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 20-Sep-07 12:26. Added Url code)</P>I need to create a new profile in OL 2003 because my current one is corrupted. I have a dozen accounts in my Send/Receive group and want to save the account settings. I tried following the instructions in http://www.wikihow.com/Migrate-Microsoft-O...ngs-to-a-New-Pc which have you import the settings into Outlook Express, then export them as .iaf files. The problem is that OE is not picking up my current account settings. The POP and SMTP servers and advanced settings are not correct. To test this I tried changing an existing account and a new one. The new account doesn't show up when I run the wizard, and the old account doesn't show the change.

Does anyone know how to make OE look at my current account settings? Where the heck is it looking? Could this be a problem with my messed-up PST file?

Has anyone here used BackRex (http://www.backsettings.com/outlook-backup.html)? One thread I found recommended trying the demo version. It sounds like the demo version won't migrate my passwords, but I guess I can live with that if I must.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Migrating/Backing up Account Settings (OL 2003 SP 2)

Since the existing profile is causing problems, I wouldn't try to copy its settings. I'd just create a fresh new one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Since I'm able to send and receive messages, I think the account settings are OK. I'd love to preserve them if possible. But if not, I'll move on.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Check out Description and use of the Save My Settings Wizard. However, you may just end up saving and restoring the problem parts of your profile.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

FYI, I tried the evaluation copy of BackRex, with disastrous results. It might be fine for copying your existing settings to a new computer, but when I tried to have it copy my account settings to a new profile Outlook was damaged beyond repair. (Basically, the new profile disappeared. Outlook would open and immediately close. Running Detect and Repair from the install CD didn't help, nor did scanpst). I had to reinstall Outlook and recreate the account settings manually. Fortunately, I didn't lose any data, and I had printed screen shots of my account settings.

Robert