4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing messages (OE6)

Recently OE6 has been showing an error message "Message cannot be displayed" and then something about low RAM. I don't think this is the problem and it is usually solved by closing and re-opening OE6. I have also seen that compacting folders can reduce the frequency of the problem, so today I did so. While it was doing this I noticed that there were only 289 messages in my inbox where there are usually over 1000. I later found that all my inbox messages between mid-March and mid-September were missing. I have an email backup program using TweakIE and I had done a backup on 5 September, so I restored it. Unfortunately, although all the mid-year messages have been restored I have lost everything since the backup date of 5 September. Any ideas as to the possibility of getting them back? I created a system restore point before doing this, but it was of no use. Also I have been told that there is a limit to the size of the .dbx files OE6 can handle before causing havoc. Microsoft mentions a figure of 2GB. Is this per file or the toatl of all the .dbx files? At a rough count I have 800,000kb so it shouldn't be a problem either way. At the end of each year I create new folders in OE6, Archive2007-IN and Archive 2007-Sent and transfer all messages there. Is this a sensible move? Any hints or suggestions will be welcome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Missing messages (OE6)

See All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6.0 Service Pack 1 or Outlook Express 6.0 Service Pack 2 for possible causes and a fix if you don't have it installed already. This repair outlook express - Google Search will give you lots of links to check out. Looks as thought there are lots of programs that claim to be able to recover OE messages and repair the database.

Joe
    Joe