2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compact on close kills DB (ACC 2007)

Since recently moving on to Office 2007, I have twice lost my .mdb files. Lost as in without a trace . . . !

Compact on close was enabled, and upon quittting the DB, a msg box popped up to inform me the compaction was not successful. Clicking OK to acknowledge, Access closes. This happened every now and then with ACC2003 and one would be left with a file called something like db1.mdb which one could rename to the original name and try again with Jetcomp. Not so with ACC2007, there is no temp DB file. Both the original .mdb and the temp .mdb have been deleted. They're not in the recycle bin and I didn't find them anywhere under "Documents and Settings". Lucky I had backup copies, but in both cases I lost a whole lot of recently captured records.

Maybe I must turn off the compact-on-close and schedule external jobs to backup and compact the files.

Anyone else experienced this ? Any ideas please ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compact on close kills DB (ACC 2007)

The problem is mentioned by others:
    Microsoft Access tips: Converting to Access 2007
    Access 2007 and Compacting; a small warning
    Access 2007 Database is deleting itself when using compact on close
    There doesn't seem to be a solution, so it would seem wise to turn off Compact on Close, and always make a backup before compacting a database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compact on close kills DB (ACC 2007)

Thanks Hans - I had searched on Google, but maybe I used the wrong phrases. Anyway, at least you have confirmed it wasn't only me and something stupid I was doing. I will definitely turn off the "Compact on close" option . . .