Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using the End key (2003)

I have just been given a new PC with Excel 2003 SP2. In the past, I have always used the End key, followed by an arrow key, to move to the end of the data. Now, when I press say End then the down arrow key, I just move down one row rather than to the bottom of the column of data. Likewise, End then right arrow now just moves one cell right instead of to the end of the row. There is nothing wrong with the End key on my keyboard as Ctrl+End still takes me to the end of the spreadsheet. Various people have been setting up different programs on my PC - could they have changed a setting somewhere which might cause this problem? I know I can use Ctrl+arrow to move around instead, but I am so used to using the End key, this is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using the End key (2003)

Try Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>.

Thanks

When you press the end key do you see 'End' appear in the bottom right corner of the status bar?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't generally use the End and arrow keys for navigation so I'm not familiar with how it should work, but I've just tried it and I find that if I've got some empty cells and some filled cells it will jump to the start/end of the current filled block (or the next one if the current cell is empty).

If the row or column is completely filled, it jumps to the start or end as you are expecting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The normal behavior of End+down arrow is to move to the bottom of the current range if the active cell is in the interior of a filled range. Gill reports that End+down arrow moves just one row down instead of to the bottom.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much to everyone who replied to my query. As suggested, I tried a couple of things in Jan Karel Pieterse's Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL and this seems to have fixed the problem. I still don't really understand what went wrong but at least the END key is behaving again - for the moment anyway! Thanks as always for your help.