3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Query refresh (Excel 2002)

Hi,
    I have a microsoft query that downloads our AS400 data into Excel, and then I have a macro that I'd like to run AFTER the query refreshes, however my macro tends to run BEFORE, or at the same time as the refreshing is occuring. Is there a line of code that will make my macro wait to run until AFTER the ms query is done refreshing?
    Thanks!
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Query refresh (Excel 2002)

Open the workbook and click anywhere in the data.
    Select Data | Get External Data | Data Range Properties...
    Clear the check box "Enable background refresh".
    Click OK.
    This will cause Excel to finish the refresh before continuing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahh... it seems that I already had the properties for ONE of the TWO ms queries the way you suggested... I have fixed the other one now. Thanks so much Hans! On a related note, I get the following message when I open this file "This workbook contains queries to external data that refresh automatically"... how do I get this to go away. None of my other files with ms queries have this message when I open the file.
    Thanks!
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Data Range Properties dialog also has a check box to specify whether the data should be refreshed automatically when the workbook is opened. If this check box is ticked, you'll get the warning you mention.

If you want to leave the check box ticked and suppress the warning, you must change a registry setting, as described in MSKB article You are prompted to enable automatic refresh when you open a workbook in Excel.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had previously seen the box and made sure the box for each query was unchecked, so I was still wondering why I kept getting the message. I just found the problem a minute ago... I had the box "Refresh automatically when cell value changes" checked in the parameters area... I unchecked it and I no longer get the message when I open the file. Thanks for all your help Hans!! Have a great weekend!
    Lana