3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Seeking Help to Learn this Platform

Howdy All!

Lovely daughter gave her old dad a nice Samsung Blackjack for his 65th birthday. (Even geezers like gadgets!) I've discovered that this WIndows doesn't have the same interface in many respects as XP - which isn't surprising given the need to condense it. In order to take advantage of some things I'd like to use it for, I need to learn more about how to use it than I've found so far in the online Samsung pdf manual or Microsoft's web pages. For example, I'd like to add Sudoku to help me while away time I spend waiting. I'd also like to install a different browser and email client.

I found several web sites that provide versions of portable software that I'm interested in, but I haven't figured out how to install directly to the smartphone. Is it possible to download and install apps to the SD micro chip? Can you run them from there? Is is possible to customize the look and feel of the screen displays and key functions?

As you can see, I have lots of questions. If you don't want to become entangled in a never-ending dialog with me, could you please point me to some online tutorials or cheap printed publications or some web forums where I can further demonstrate my ignorance and inability to learn even the most basic constructs?

TIA

All responses greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

Thanks

Re: Seeking Help to Learn this Platform

Hi Bob
    I'm here with you - just learning my own. I've got an HTC. I found the recent update to Windows Mobile 6.0 made a big difference in terms of stability. What version are you running?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Catharine!

Thanks for the response.

The Blackjack came with Windows Mobile 5.0 loaded on it. I know so little about the platform that I won't tempt fate by trying to do an upgrade. I haven't noticed any instability in operation, but then, I haven't done much with it but load Google maps.

Let me know if you have any references I should check out.

Thanks again.

Thanks

I'd really love to be able to customize the today screen for faster access to files.
    I haven't found anything yet though.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Catharine!

The Samsung came with an application called Picsel Viewer (which I think is a Samsung program). It displays a modified form of the Windows file tree. It displays the folders and subfolders but doesn't display details (or I haven't figure out how to make it do so yet, if it does). I can access it from the Start/Applications sequence or from the scrolling app selector that displays on my home screen. I'll keep playing with it to see if I can learn to take screenshots off the smartphone. If I do, I'll post some.

regards . . .