5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Norton Firewall & OL (2003 SP2)

I am using Norton Internet Security 2007 and Win XP Home SP2. In order for Outlook to Send/Receive I have to turn off the NIS firewall. Then S/R is normal. This is really annoying. I have configured the Firewall settings to Allow Outlook, but that doesn't fix the problem. I have a cable modem, no router. As usual, Symantec is not much help. My laptop, which runs the same NIS, uses WinXP Media Center Edition and Outlook works just fine. Any clues?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Norton Firewall & OL (2003 SP2)

Do you get an error message? Have you checked the application or system event logs?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook S/R error:
    Task 'mail.a-commvds.com - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Appl Log: Event ID 25, Unable to update public free/busy data. Operation failed.
    This msg was from an earlier time. No events with current attempt.

Thanks

See whether Norton Personal Firewall has a specific log of dropped packets/connections or blocked access attempts. Ideally, such a log should identify the rule or reason that access was denied. I just am not familiar enough with NPF to know whether it has that level of detail.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, NIS logs have that amount of detail, but they reveal very little. The Network Connections log shows lots of bytes being exchanged (pop3, port 110) when the firewall is Off, and zero bytes being exchanged when it is On. There are no error msgs or warnings. The following two lines come from a successful email connection:

Redirected Connection: localhost: 1036 from localhost: 2184, 73 bytes sent, 23990 bytes received, 5.765 elapsed time. Both local and remote IP addresses are 127.0.0.1
    Connection: incoming.verizon.net: pop3(110) from localhost: 2185, 73 bytes sent, 23986 bytes received, 5.750 elapsed time. Local !P = 127.0.0.1, Remote IP = 204.46.232.10

Is Norton using a proxy server here? Do I need to add something to my Hosts file?

When I launch Outlook the Firewall Activities log shows the following:
    An instance of "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11OUTLOOK.EXE" is preparing to access the Internet.
    This log also shows when the firewall has been enabled and disabled, which coincides with the successful transmissions

Thanks

> Is Norton using a proxy server here?

The way that antivirus suites implement mail scanning usually uses a proxy. Your email account settings in Outlook get automatically rewritten to redirect requests to the local AV scanning client, and the AV scanning client actually does the mail retrieval. Wouldn't it be terribly ironic if the firewall was blocking a sibling component of the suite? Ironic, but not very helpful. Maybe at some point firewall asked whether AV scanning proxy had permission to access the internet and you answered "No." If so, there should be a way to clear that and have firewall ask again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

> Appl Log: Event ID 25, Unable to update public free/busy data. Operation failed.

That's a curious message - is Outlook on this machine using an Exchange Server, where your laptop is using a POP account?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, both machines are using POP3. That msg was a few weeks ago and I haven't seen it since.
    I'm going to follow jscher2000's suggestion above and report back.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Looked up the Program Control section of NIS firewall and found that the Symantec NAV Scanner Module is Allowed. Ditto Live Update and other Symantec modules.
    So NIS seems to allow all Symantec traffic, as it should. There is no AV scanning proxy entry. So, I'm still stumped.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have NIS. Hopefully someone with NIS can look in their list and figure out what has to be allowed.