3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

kernal crash revisited (xp current)

Over the last 2 weeks I have been having intermittent hardware problems ( see kernal crash below). This usually happens in the middle of the night and when I get to the computer in the morning I have the current day equivelant of the old BSOD. It is a full screen of info with stop codes etc. (usually f4....)

As I remember there used to be a way to"Print Screen" and get a screen dump to the printer - I cannot seem to make that work these days - does anyone know the magic combo with print scr to make a screen dump happen - or has that gone away with current day software?

Thanks

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: kernal crash revisited (xp current)

For others: with "see kernal crash below", Tom refers to the thread starting at <post:=666,197>post 666,197</post:>.

In Windows, the PrintScreen key puts a picture of the screen onto the Windows clipboard, ready to be pasted into any application that accepts graphics (Paint, Word, ...). This won't work, of course, if Windows has crashed.
    The old MS-DOS functionality where PrintScreen would dump the text screen directly to the printer has gone.

Most of the information on a BSOD is so esoteric that it's useless to anyone except perhaps a Microsoft technician. The first line is probably the most important one, you could write it down. Or take a picture of the screen with a camera...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am still having BSOD's and getting absolutely no help from Dell's "Crack Indian Support Team". The errors are usually "77" or "7A' which seem to be page file errors occurring during access of the page file. All of the BSOD's occur when I am not actively using system - something going on in the background, usually at night.

One of the error code discussions cites possibility of BIOS errors - I have not added any new hardware for over 4 months, so I am discounting this one.

Is it possible to completely delete and reallocate page file to possibly get away from a weak disc sector? Any info and additional thoughts will be appreciated.

Tom

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What are your "Page file" settings?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have programs checked under both Processor settings and Memory settings and 2046MB for page file.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Change the Page file to "System Managed size" and see how that runs.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will try that - thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

More importantly than just the pagefile reference, this link Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages which I posted in the other thread indicates hard drive failure or corruption or a virus. Have you backed up your system? Have you run a full virus & other malware scan(s)? Have you turned off the PC and checked the physical disk connections? Do you have a spare drive onto which you could clone your system to test?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I followed up on the stop messages you posted. All seem to be hardware problems, I do not have any other drives.

Dell rep started a disk diagnostic and then had me kill it after it ran for an hour ( was only about 20% complete when he decided it was taking too long). I kept track of how to run the diagnostic - so if it happens again, I will start it before I go to bed and let it run to completion. After cancelling the diagnostic the Dell guy wanted me to reinstall my XP system from scratch. Neither he nor his manager could satisfactorily explain why I should go back 8 months in MS updates to fix a problem that the BSOD says is a hardware problem.

Thanks again for the help

Tom