New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Line Numbers (Word 2004 for Mac)

I have several documents with line numbers
    going past 1000 lines long, and I need these documents to have the same
    margins (INCLUDING the line numbers) regardless of whether the line number
    has one digit or four. Since Word automatically places the line numbers
    outside the margin, and since the line numbers are right justified and do not
    push the text to the right when they increase in digits, this is a particularly
    annoying problem. I've been able to alter the font and size of the line
    numbers by modifying the LineNumber style (in Formatting Palette), but I
    can't change the justification, I can't get the line numbers to act as part of
    the margin scheme, and I can't get the text to automatically shift right when
    the line number goes up a digit (for example, from 99 to 100, or from 999 to
    1000). I've tried fooling around with sections, but I can't get the sections to
    be continuous (they always push to the next page). Basically, I need the
    beginning of the line number to always begin at the same distance from
    the left margin. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! If there's a macro,
    please give me a thorough explanation--I've never used them before.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Line Numbers (Word 2004 for Mac)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Unfortunately for you, there is no way to customize the alignment of line numbers - neither using the interface, nor using macros.

If you really need left-aligned line numbers, you'd have to create your own, but with thousands of lines, that is not an attractive idea. If at all possible, I'd live with the built-in right-aligned line numbers.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help, Hans. Can you tell me how I'd go about putting in manual line numbers that are apart from the regular text? I've heard columns are a possibility, but I know they're a mess to keep anchored to the specific lines. And I've tried frames, but it appears frames can't extend past one page. I know manual numbering would be a lot of work, but maybe I can number every 5th or 10th line instead of every line. Thanks again for your help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use a table with two columns - a narrow one on the left for the line numbers and a wider one on the right for the text. You could then use Word's built-in paragraph numbering to create the numbers in the left column - you'd have to to create as many paragraphs as there are lines in the second column.
    Problem would be to keep the lines in the two columns horizontally aligned, in particular if you use spacing before and/or after paragraphs.

Another option would be to number the paragraphs instead of the lines of the document - since this is a built-in feature, it would be a lot easier. But that may not suit your purpose.