3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install WinXP on Vista machine without Vista DVD (Home premium)

Hi,

I've a new laptop with an OEM Vista install with recover disc only, no Vista DVD. I want to install WinXP in a dual boot configuration, and all the resources I've seen on this issue discuss the problem of installing XP second leading to the Vista bootsector being overwritten and needing to be repaired. The options proferred are to install XP first, which is not an option with recovery disc only, or use the Vista DVD to repair the bootsector after XP install, which is also obviously not an option with only a recovery DVD, or, microsoft's own genius suggestion, repair the bootsector from within Vista (they don't suggest how to boot into Vista once XP's overwritten the boot sector, however).

Could anyone help with instructions, or a resource, to help create a dual boot environment in this situation.

Thanks very much

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Install WinXP on Vista machine without Vista DVD (Home premium)

First the biggest issue that you are going to have get by is the XP drivers for that Vista machine. Including SATA Driver for the hard drive as XP does NOT have any. Most of the Vista machines have these Sata drives.

As for System Recover, based on the OEM, most provide a way for the new owner to "Burn a set of Cd's DVD's" for the reinstall of the system.

Check out http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/58...in2k-after.html, it is very long but read throught as it will be a eye opener.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Install WinXP on Vista machine without Vista DVD (Home premium)

In addition to Dave's suggestions, here is another good read . You will also have to download and install VistaBootPRO .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install WinXP on Vista machine without Vista D

Thanks Dave and John,

I've already downloaded the XP drivers from Acer specific for my model, so I hope they're all there. Luckily(!) my hard drive is IDE, so the dreaded SATA problems are not an issue. Dave's thread specifically mentions up front the need for a Vista DVD, so I hadn't read the rest. I have read it all at your suggestion, but there weren't any additional points to help in my situation. The option to make the DVD only makes a recovery DVD, which isn't what's needed. John's thread seems to offer some hope, however.

Armed with this information, I tried to install WinXP, but ran into another problem. I have habitually copied my installation CD's to my hard drive and installed from there (with additional services packs slipstreamed). This has led to the odd FAT/NTFS issue, but I've usually managed to get around that. As I've just moved from the UK to Canada for a couple of years, I left all my CD's at home, relying on my hard drives. So I've copied the XP installation files to my hard drive, created a bootable WinXP disc (but with the DVD writing software that came with my laptop, which basically creates a dos boot floppy image on the DVD, and then adds other files to a different "partition" on the DVD), booted with that, and ran winnt.exe from my hard drive. It copied all the files, but at reboot time, just booted into Vista. I attach a picture of my hard drive partitions. C is Vista, obviously NTFS. I plan to install XP in the unallocated space. The XP setup files are on F which is the only FAT partition. Stupidly it's a an extended partition, which if my memory serves me correctly means that I can't make it boot even if I found a way to instruct the BIOS to look there first.

So here's what I think I'd like to do. Harvest the current MBR and save it. On the drive which contains the XP setup files there is now a file called Bootsect.dos. I presume that if I can write this to the drives MBR it will boot me back into the WinXP setup. Do you have any suggestions as to how to do this? Is there an easier way to get back to the setup?

Thanks very much
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Where do you plan on installing your programs that you are going to use?
    You are going to find that 20 Gigs is NOT going to be enough disk space. On my Vista laptop, I have 53 Gigs used and I store very little data on it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave,

It was enough for XP, and I think yet another reason why Vista is not going to be my OS, but I have to keep it on there for warranty reasons.

The other obvious problem with the setup above is it would need me to be able to create 5 partitions, cos there's the annoying recovery partition that counts as a windows partition, so I had to do a lot of moving around to do, and ended up losing all my data - a problem I take up in another thread in the general windows solution board.

Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Unless you need to support one or more applications that must run in XP I'd suggest that you run Vista for 2 - 4 weeks before downgrading. As long as you have the proper hardware to run Vista (which you should if you've got a new machine with Vista pre-loaded) there are many good things about Vista. I'd start with Windows Vista: Features to investigate and try as much of it as possible before going backwards.

Joe
    Joe