5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Time Format (2003 SP2)

Good Morning

I have tried to format some cells to HH:MM using the Custom option expecting that when I type 0600 (tab) I would be shown 06:00 however I get 00:00 if I type in 06 then : (tab) I get 06:00

This is my first attempt at doing anything with hours so is this normal behaviour or is there a (simple) way to tell a cell that if I type in 0630 it would show 06:30, 0345 - 03:45 etc.

Also I will eventually be trying to do time sheet calculations using these figures so would it confuse matters by trying to change it this way.

Thanks

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Thanks

Re: Time Format (2003 SP2)

If you enter 0630 without the colon, excel has no way to know that you want it to be converted to a time rather than a number. The colon is the indicator to excel to "translate" the number into a time.

Checkout the code from Chip Pearson at Date And Time Entry to do this

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Steve

VBA is a road that I fear is not for the likes of my mere mortal status, because it showed in the Custom example as 00:00 that is how I expected it to appear and though perhaps I had done something wrong.

Cheers for the quick response

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Thanks

The format cells is a "display".

Excels stores time and date in units of 1 day. It is the number of days since 12/31/1900. Integer values have "times" of "00:00". Times are the fractional part. the number 0.5 (eg) is 12 Noon. the time 6:30 is equivalent to 6.5/24 = 0.270833. Excel will convert a time entered as "06:30" to the "time value" of "06:30 AM" which has a numeric value of 0.270833 and will format the cell as time. if the format of the number entered as "06:30" is changed to "General" you will see the value XL is using.

When 0630 is entered into a cell, it is not consisdered a time and not converted so it has the value of 630. If formatted as a "date" it will be September 21, 1901 but since it has no fraction (or the fractional part is 0 depending on how you want to view it) it is essentially "Midnight" the start of the day and will display as time "00:00".

Is this clearer?

Chip Pearson's code converts the "0630" since XL is not doing it directly since it expects the colon.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Steve

That made it clearer for me, perhaps I will give the VBA a bash

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve