Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Cant' see removable Hard Drive (Vista Ultimate)

Hi

I have an Acer Aspire 9810, I don't have any operating disks for the OS, the OS is on a partition on Drive C:, I decided to re-install to the Manufacturer's default which is a fairly simple task, so I removed my connections to my Freecom 160Gb Hard drive and ran the setup.

However when all was up and running again, I plugged in my Freecom Hard Drive went to My Computer and it did not show, however it is clearly evident in Device Manager where it is listed as working proplery, however with it not being allotted a drive name I cannot access it.

Any Ideas Please

Regards

Braddy
    If you are a fool at forty, you will always be a fool

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cant' see removable Hard Drive (Vista Ultimate)

I would right-click on "Computer" and choose "Disk Management". Look to see how that external drive is shown, e.g., is it formatted? does it have a drive letter? Sometimes it helps to simply change the drive letter. So, right click on the drive in Disk Management and choose the option to Change drive letter and path. Then reboot and see if it is then recognized in Explorer.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jeff

If i right click I don't get the option to change the drive letter and path I only get the help, which doesn't really help, I get the option on other drives.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Regards

Braddy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Do you have the most current driver for it?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe

Sorry took so long to reply only I keep losing my internet conection whilst I am decorating.

To answer your ? I have the driver on the disk which came with the drive.

Regards

Braddy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cant' see removable Hard Drive (Vista Ultimate

Is the drive spinning up? Have you tried changing your AutoPlay setting?

I think Explorer and Search have been refined in Vista, and you may find that they will help you here, or may be the cause of the problem, according to your point of view.

Try Search, which is directly above Computer on the right-hand menu or in a box directly above Start (they are equivalent, but the Search box in the top right of a window is local) and then select Advanced Search in the window, and search for something that you know is on that drive. You donít have to specify a drive in order to do this. Because it is an external drive the contents will not be indexed, so try to make it easy. File names might be successful.

If it is successful, then I guess Iíd try to work backward and see if I could explore the device. One suggestion for all external memory devices is to give each a familiar name so that you, and possibly the program, can recognize them by name regardless of what drive letter they take. This can be helpful for those times when you have more than one connected at a given time, such as having multiple flash drives, preferably with different colours to provide the names. Having no letter at all is odd, unless it is analogous to the default of showing no extension for files, or unless you canít see it because you are looking in the wrong place. My external hard drives are not seen as network drives, but you could click on Network just to check. Did it have a name, even if just a number, when it was in use previously?

The final suggestion is to look up what you can of Explorer, Search, and file handling in Vista from the sources available to you. In my case I ran across it in going through a Professor Teaches CD tutorial. That can be time-consuming, but so can gigantic manuals, and it is often helpful in learning the changes that have been made to the small things you take for granted without realizing they have changed. This is especially true of Vista, because things are intentionally compartmented.

You might visit MSVistaForums

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Peter

Thanks for the advice but I have given up on this and I have decided to buy a new drive.

Regards

Braddy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Braddy,

It was more speculation than advice, but I am intrigued by the problem and will keep it in mind as I learn Vista. A new drive will be great, but this is an astronomical amount of data to write off even if the drive was only partly full. Please don't toss the old one out without seeing if someone can come up with more ideas.

Good luck

Peter

Administrator
    Thanks

Are you sure the driver is a Vista driver? You should check the vendor site for the most current Vista driver.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe

I doubt if it is a Vista Driver because I had the drive before Vista was released. As I said before I have given up on this and decided to buy a new Drive.

Thanks for your assistance in this matter

Braddy

Administrator
    Thanks

More likely that not lack of a Vista driver is the problem. So, be sure that whatever you get has a Vista driver.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I am not familiar with the hardware you are using, but I just checked the Freecom site, and amongst other things they have something called

Freecom Storage Gateway SMB fix 1.02 for Windows Vista.

They have other Vista-compatible items as well, such as a backup program update. On the other hand, it may be a different Freecom. You'll have to do your own research using the specific information you have.