New Lounger
    Thanks

Form fields in merge (2003 SP2)

I have created a few forms with text form fields and checkboxes. This works fine if I open it normally and F11 to go through the form. We have a precedent database that we run these forms through which uses mergefields and it converts the fields to text so I am left with just a few spaces. Everything we use goes through this system so I can't use a standalone method to use these.

Would anyone know what type of fields I could use in a merge that will not be cleared. I remember reading something in here about TOCS not working with a merge so I have converted all our TOCS to text and they have to be updated manually so I am assuming this is the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope I have given enough information.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Form fields in merge (2003 SP2)

Hi leecol,

From the MSKB:
    <hr>A mail merge main document that contains form fields retains the drop-down and check box form fields, but text form fields are not present in the merge result.
    Microsoft Word unlinks the text form fields during the mail merge. Word does not unlink display form fields, such as the drop-down and the check box form fields.<hr>
    There is a workaround described at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211308/en-us

You also lose bookmarks and cross-references are converted to plain text during a merge, so that also rules out using dropdown formfields to trigger updates elsewhere in the merged output.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form fields in merge (2003 SP2)

Thanks very much - I will give that a go. It is also good to know which fields do get unlinked and which dont.