Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

NCR carbonless paper

I am trying to print receipts for a client.
    I have a stock of 3-part NCR carbonless paper from my local print shop.
    It seems to lose its effect after passing through the laser printer.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Details:
    I'm new to this, but had the world's best physics teacher in high school.
    I took a triplet of paper, white, yellow and pink, and noted that the yellow and pink had smudges on one side.
    I printed my first page of receipts 3 times, feeding a sheet of white, yellow and pink into the single-sheet feed of my HP2600N colour printer.
    I kept a note that I'd fed it in "smudge side up", so that if it didn't work I'd know to feed it next time "smudge side down".

The print quality is good. Crisp. The client's coloured logo looks great.

I guillotined the receipts and stapled them into a booklet, inserted a cardboard sleeve after the first triplet, and wrote myself a receipt with a heavy-hand on a ball-point pen - and found no reproduction on the pink and yellow.
    There is an obvious indentation, but not what you would call easily readable in a court of law.

First thought: Should've been smudge-side down. Flipped the triplet and wrote on the back of the pink (hence through to the yellow and white) "DARN!" in the same heavy hand with the same tongue sticking out the same corner of the same mouth.

nada.

second thought: The heat of the laser de-sensitizes the ink.

Third thought: use up a second of my precious ten triplets and make a small mark (ball-point, heavy-hand, tongue etc) on the margin.
    Works fine. So I know that my local print shop didn't slip me 30 sheets of plain white, pink, yellow at 10c/sheet.

It is functioning carbonless paper, but the laser appears to de-sensitize it.

The print shop assured me I could print on a laser, "we do all our small runs on lasers", but didn't address what ought to have been the obvious question "Will the laser destroy the utility of the paper?"
    I flipped over

As stated above: Any advice would be appreciated.
    Love to Jezza; I have received your private post about "@#$!%"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NCR carbonless paper

I may have missed something here. Why are you passing NCR paper through a laser printer, may I ask?

The last time I used NCR fan-folded paper with sprocket holes was on an IBM 1403 line printer about twenty-five years ago. The 1403 was an impact printer, and the impression was visible on up to 6-part NCR.

If you want ordinary coloured A4 (or even Letter size!) sheets of paper, they most certainly cost nowhere near 10 per sheet (unless you buy from Ripoff Paper Supplies Inc)...

I am reminded of the words of Dr Johnson (yes, the dictionary chap): "It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."..!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you comparing Chris to a woman preaching or to a dog walking on its hind legs?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I may have missed something here. Why are you passing NCR paper through a laser printer, may I ask?
    You didn't and you may.
    Client wants corporate heading & multi-coloured logo on each of the 3 sheets (white/yellow/pink), and wondered if I could print same on my HP2600N.
    The client will use a ball-point pen to write receipts on those (rare) ocacasions when he is offered money for the cause, maybe 20 times per year.
    The last time I used an IBM1403 I think NCR carbonless paper didn't exist!

So, client needs a small quanity of 3-part carbonless receipts, and rather than go to a Serious Print Shop, ($$$$$$) wondered if I could manually feed a few sheets through the sheet-feed of my printer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>Are you comparing Chris to a woman preaching or to a dog walking on its hind legs?
    No-one's bitching about anything, Hans.
    I suspect that the NCR paper just can't take the heat.
    (let's ignore the segue for Jezza with "bitch" & "heat")

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Panic off.

http://www.plexoft.com/cgi-bin/N.cgi mentions the sequence <pre>NCR paper sheets have a standard sequence of colors:

1. white (top sheet)
    2. canary
    3. pink
    4. gold </pre>

which caused me to check my sequence.
    While I had out the (ruined) sheets I decided to play one more time, and I can make it work with a ball-point pen on the sheets which this morning passed through the laser.

I suspect now that I had had the sheets back to front, and will re-run the print jonb tomorrow morning.