Lounger
    Thanks

wrting files to CD (XP SP2)

I have a question about how Windows copies files to CD.

When I run the cursor over the original files in Windows Explorer a display appears that gives a bunch of detailed info including file name, date and time photo taken, image size, camera used, file type, file size etc.
    However when I hold the cursor over a copy of that same file that has been written to CD using XP's file writer mechanism the only info that is displayed is file type and size. The other info can be found by right click> properties>summary> advanced. It is all there it just won't display with the roll over.

Is there a way to have the box that pops up display the detailed info that is displayed in the files copied to CD?

Seems I have CDs that I have received from elsewhere that will display the info I am looking for.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: wrting files to CD (XP SP2)

I don't know if it applies to CDs but you might have a look at <post:=434,760>post 434,760</post:>.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Not sure if this will help but see below from ToolTips do not display complete information about files that are located on a network share. You can at least verify the registry values.

MORE INFORMATION
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. To configure the categories that are displayed by the ToolTip, modify the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*

Value Name: InfoTip
    Value Type: Reg_SZ
    Value Datarop:Type;DocAuthor;DocTitle;DocSubject;DocComments ;Write;Size

Value Name: QuickTip
    Value Type: Reg_SZ
    Value Data: prop:Type;DocAuthor;DocTitle;DocSubject;DocComment s;Write;Size

NOTE: The QuickTip value may initially contain only the Type and Size properties, and this affects the display for files stored on network drives.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,

I haven't had a chance to read the articles suggested yet, but your posts got me to thinking and I copied a file from the CD back to My Documents.
    The tool tips work fine there for the replaced file.
    So it may just be an issue of how they work when reading other drives.
    Will report back after I check the links posted.

Lounger
    Thanks

I changed the reg value on "quick tip" to match "info tip"

situation unchanged

Noticed status of info displayed on the 2 drives is also the same in the status bar as it is in tool tips in win expl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On my PC (also Windows XP SP-2), Windows Explorer doesn't display extended tooltips for files on a CD-ROM either, regardless of the value of QuickTip. So I assume Windows XP simply doesn't display extended info for files on CD.

Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if there is a reason for this such as strain on system or such

I wonder if it can be worked around?

Anyway thanks again

Let me know if anyone finds more info about this

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Reading a CD-ROM is *much* slower than reading a hard disk, so I suppose it's done to avoid Windows Explorer slowing down or seeming to hang if it has to read the properties of files on a CD-ROM as you move the mouse over them.

For pictures, you could use an image viewer such as FastStone MaxView (free); it lets you browse the pictures in a folder while displaying properties such as image size, camera type etc. This won't help with other file types, though.