3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Close Access with Word (office 2000)

Hello,
    I have a "Letters & Envelopes" form in Access with command buttons that opens either letter documents or envelopes in Word. These documents merge with the information in the same database.
    When I click on "Merge", another instance of the same database opens in the background to complete the merge. Everything works fine except that when it is time to close the Word documents, both instances of the database remain open. If I bring up more than one letter / envelope, more instances of the database open but don't close when Word closes.

If I open the documents from the actual files in explorer, then Access closes properly when the documents close. How can I make it do the same thing within Access itself?

Thanks
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Close Access with Word (office 2000)

This happens if you
    (1) Use DDE as method to connect to the database, AND
    (2) Have set an Application Title for the database (in Tools | Startup) that does not begin with "Microsoft Access".

The easiest workaround is to either clear the Application Title, or to set it to something beginning with "Microsoft Access". If you do that, the mail merge will not open a second instance of the database.

Another option is to use ODBC to connect to the database. See WendellB's tutorial Managing Merges with Access for more info.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Close Access with Word (office 2000)

Thanks Hans,

Since I didn't have anything in Application Title, I just entered "Microsoft Access" and it worked fine.
    Thanks so much!
    Louise