Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security Update to MDW (2000 SR1)

I have a multi-user database that users start via a shortcut which specifies a shared SYSTEM.MDW file. (A technique noted in the discussion thread, "mdw files (97 SR-2)").

When I change/design a form (object) the permissions for the object are lost. When I add them from my workstation, the permissions are not updated for other workstations. I always seem to have to go to the other workstations and administer the security update on each.

Why? What can I do better?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Update to MDW (2000 SR1)

Richard,
    You have to use a system.mdw file that is on the server for all users and not the system.mdw file from the local station.
    Put in your shortcut something like this:
    "Crogram filesmicrosoft officemsaccess.exe" h:datayouraccessfile.mdb h:datayoursystemfile.mdw

You only have to put the quotes if you have spaces in the path of one of the files.

Hope this helps.

Francois
    Francois

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply; I am doing that. Here's the shortcut everyone is using:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" "CataStoreDataStore.mdb" /wrkgrp OnyxDataDataStore_FMsystem.mdw

But updates to security permissions don't permeate to users. (I don't understand why not!)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Each time you change a permission, you have to copy the front-end to all local stations. Permissions are stored in the database and not in the mdw-file.

Francois
    Francois

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! That is truly useful (but discouraging) information. Thank you, Francois.

Hey Microsoft ! -- Access security is sure awkward and cumbersome! Please work on it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know where you got that information, but it is not correct. The whole purpose of the MDW file is to hold the security information, including permissions, for that workgroup.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are your users still in the workgroup when you update it? If so, the system.mdw they used is probably still in memory on their individual machines. MDW files are a special type of Access database and changing designs in a database that someone else is working in causes an analogous problem, whoever saves last wins.

Try changing permissions with no one else using that workgroup (have them all close out of the application and either join a different workgroup or not open Access until you're finished). Make your changes by assigning the permissions to the usergroups the users belong to so that the individual users inherit the permissions. Then have them log back into the application and see if that cures the problem.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There seems to be some confusion here. User and group information (along with some encrypted stuff) are stored in the system.mdw file. Persmissions to do various things with Access objects are stored in the actual database containing the object - otherwise the system.mdw file would be huge, as it is used with any and all databases you refer to (unless you point to another).

The solution to the problem is to define groups and then set permissions on a group basis rather than for individual users. Then you simply move users from group to group depending on the priviledges you want them to have. Otherwise putting the front-end database on a workstation gets to be a nightmare.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, I see what you mean. I had misunderstood the post.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

So, if I understand the answer of WendllB, when you change the access level of an object (read,write,...) for a group or add a new group with new privileges, you still have to copy the front-end to the local stations ?

For information, in the November 2000 issue of Access VB SQL Advisor magazine there is an article that describe an automatic system to copy the front-end to the stations when there is a new version.

Francois
    Francois

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You are correct - which means that you want to plan your security deployment carefully before you copy the front end database to the workstations. As long as you have a group defined which has the permissions you want, you can make changes just in the system.mdw - but if you actually want to change the permissions for an object, whether for a user or a group, then the front end will need to be copied to the workstation again.

We have a client that has about 30 different Access applications for about 80 users, and these and other issues led us to design a deployment system that can not only copy front end databases, but also components such as the Windows Common Controls OCX (which require registry changes) and the system.mdw. We also found that one system.mdw file for 80 users was frequently being corrupted, so we finally moved it to the workstation as well. Another issue with Access 2000 is that you can't make any design changes to forms, reports or modules if any other user has the database open. The deployment tool also solved that problem, as we make the change at the master, and then the user simply closes and reopens the database and the latest copy is downloaded to the workstation.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It can be pretty overwhelming if you have lots of users, but frankly I have yet to see a better scheme. It provides all of the flexibility we've needed to develop sophisticated systems with appropriate user restrictions, both for custom developments and for commercial products based on Access. In addition, the security object can be manipulated in code if you choose to, though it's not for the faint of heart!
    Wendell