Star Lounger
    Thanks

Secure Socket Layer

I am desperately trying to find out how to integrate my Web page with a payment/credit card taking company that is the authorization and account holding company for my website client. I have tried to use Help files, Tech Support, etc., but I keep getting a brick wall in the face. I evidently don't understand how to connect my page with my credit card form on it with this organization. What I am told is that I need a SSL layer and that they don't make Web pages. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Secure Socket Layer

Hi there

This is a world of pain and a lot of hard work and it appears that your service provider don't support this service, I have a feeling you will have to find another provider.

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and the newer Transport Layer Security (TLS) , are cryptographic protocols that provide secure communications on the Internet for such things as web browsing, e-mail, Internet faxing, instant messaging and other data transfers.

Only your server is authenticated while the person accessing it remains unauthenticated; this means that the end user (whether an individual or an application, such as a Web browser) can be sure with whom they are communicating. This is normally done using a Public Key and your servaer having an authenticating certificate. You will see websites using the HTTPS profile for URI's.

This question is not really a web coding or scripting question but more for server, I shoul initially go looking for a web host that supports SSL or TLS and allow their certification
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. So, is this authentication company thinking that we have our own server? Or are you referring to their server? And, I might add, I am with you on possibly looking for a different company to deal with. Thanks for your input.

Thanks

This is a difficult question to answer without seeing the instructions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am totally shocked that this has become soooo difficult. I can't be the only webmaster who has had to go up a level of complexity within a website. The foundation's site that I am webmaster for has gone along for years now just fine, but the foundation needs to be able to accept donations via credit card. I thought it would be a simple thing of do steps 1, 2, and 3, and you are finished. I am really bumming!! Glad that Woody's is back up and running. At least I see that I am not alone!! Thanks. Penni

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't mean to imply that it should be taken lightly. In fact, I have tried to discourage my client going down that road at all. However, once the decision was made, it shouldn't be this hard to find out the exact steps for setting it up properly. That's my complaint. If I have to by an SSL certificate, fine. Just tell me that. If not, then what? Where is the support for a small-time webmaster like me for helping a client go to this next level? That's my complaint. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I hope you will agree that there is a world of difference between <UL><LI>displaying some information via a webpage, and <LI>securely and un-hack-ably taking people's money via a credit card![/list]It will not have escaped your notice that a major growth area of crime is in the credit-card area, and I (for one) would want to be very sure that a valid donation made by credit card to a charity (say) is not followed by <big>even larger ones</big> to some anonymous crooks, because the charity's online security was inadequate...

Getting web security right is h a r d ...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. We are going to go to a different authentication provider to one that has more tech support. I appreciate your comments. Thanks. Penni

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Where is the support for a small-time webmaster like me for helping a client go to this next level?<hr>
    As suggested above, you go to an ISP or other provider that has done all the security work already, and can give you the a -> b -> c instructions! This will depend on your location, how much you want to pay, and so on...

(The phrase I was searching for was "pre-packaged solution")
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there

As I stated in my earlier post that this is not really web scripting but more about set up and certification on a server. Once you have been certified and you have the pre-requisites, it all depends on the type of Web server software you have, Unix or Microsoft.

Jeff mentions instructions and I am assuming that by your last post it has not been purchased yet. If you are not used to SSL or TSL it is not an easy way thing to do with just the instructions as you have to have administrative rights to the server to allow modification to the certificates and settings within the system. You will also have to have access to certification to you back end database or email server which will also require certification

http://www.credentia.cc/certs/howto/obtain.html
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

In re-reading all of the posts, it appears that I should have started looking at this with the ISP where the website lives. I will contact them and see where it leads. Thanks to all!!