Lounger
    Thanks

Editing DVD... XP pro or Vista

Debating buying my father a new system so he can edit DVDs of old home 8mm movies.
    Right now he has 1.66 GHZ system, 512 MB DDR266, 18GB hard drive, no DVD reader/burner, XP Home.
    I figure for about $420 + operating system would be better than trying to upgrade current system. (3GHZ Intel, 2GB DDR2 4200, 320 GB hard drive, 18XDVD Burner)+ (OS)
    I read that Vista Home Premium would be able to edit DVD as opposed to needing add-on software with Vista Basic.
    Basically editing will be adding audio to the currently existing video via microphone ( "Here is Uncle Joe in 1956 at our family reunion" type of audio)

Thoughts, opinions and comments?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Editing DVD... XP pro or Vista

Although it's possible that a Lounger may have a software suggestion OTHER than Vista, your question seem more pointed toward Vista's DVD editing capabilities. For that reason, I'm going to move your post to the Vista forum where it will get the attention of the Vista crowd. If it doesn't help or if you later want me to do so, we could move it to the software forum. Please send me a PM if you like. Good luck in the "upgrade" process!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Editing DVD... XP pro or Vista

I'd definitely suggest Vista Home Premium. I'd also suggest that you be prepared to spend a little more money. If you want the graphic goodies of Vista (the aero interface) you really need a discrete graphics card with 256 MB memory. Vista tests your hardware and will 'dumb down' the visual stuff if it determines your PC can't support it. IMO, the UI part just makes things nicer and easier to use. Also, it is imperative that you make sure Vista drivers are available for all the hardware you intend to install. Video drivers in particular continue to be revised regularly.

Joe
    Joe