3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual boot problem (Home premium)

I'm struggling to dual boot XP and Vista. I have successfully installed both, and used EasyBCD1.7 to add an entry to the Vista BCD (attached). During the boot process I am given the opportunity to boot to XP, but when I choose that option, the computer just reboots and takes me back to the choice screen. In the few milliseconds before the reboot, I discerned the error "Invalid boot.ini", so copied boot.ini to the root of my Vista partition, after which I could no longer see that message, but the computer still just reboots when I choose the XP option. The attachment also contains my boot.ini.

I can boot into XP fine if I go into the Vista drive management console and set partition d: (where XP is installed) to active, so there isn't any problem with XP booting per se. I have managed to install both Vista and XP so that, from within each operating system, the active system root is C:, to avoid problems with programs having hard coded installation points, so within Vista, the Vista root is c:, and the winxp drive is d:, but within XP, the XP root is c:, and the Vista root is d:. This shouldn't cause problems as far as I'm concerned, as the XP boot.ini refers to the XP partition by sequential partition, not drive letter (and it's a shame that the BCD doesn't do the same).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS. I have tried copying ntldr from the winxp root to the vista root as well, and it hasn't made any difference.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe