3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wildcard in a parameter (2002)

When I am designing a query or a report with a parameter, it is annoying to have to enter data to go between views. Is there a character you can put in the parameter when viewing the query or report that says select everything? I thought it was the *, but I tried that and it doesn't work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wildcard in a parameter (2002)

One possibility is to change the criteria to

[Enter Value] Or [Enter Value] Is Null

where Enter Value is the text of the parameter. (Access will rearrange the criteria when you save, close and reopen the query; that is normal behavior). If you want to return all records, leave the parameter blank.

Another possibility is to change the criteria to

Like [Enter Value]

where Enter Value is the text of the parameter. If you want to return all records, enter <code>*</code> as parameter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Either I didn't explain myself too well or I don't understand your reply. I want the parameter in the query and the resulting report. However, when making the report look nice you often flip back and forth between the design and print preview to see how you are doing. Each time you go to the print preview, you have to put something in the parameter. If it is a date field, you have to stick in a date. What I am looking for is a wildcard to put in any parameter that tells Access to show everything or to bypass the parameter so I don't have to waste so much time typing in jan 1 2008, for example.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is not possible. You could do what I suggested, or temporarily remove the parameter from the query until you're done with the design.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boy, that was quick. I just got back from a day of substitute teaching grade 6, so my brain is a bit fried. I tried it and it worked. Thanks.