Star Lounger
    Thanks

REturn from Office 07 to 2003 (Vista home and O2007)

I have Vista Home and Office 2007 Home Premium. I dislike them intensely and want to go back to office 2003 on Vista. Can that happen? Outlook would seem to be the greatest problem. The other parts of Office 2007 are too hard to use to be useful anyway.

I am sure that this has been reviewed before any suggestions or directions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Thanks

Re: REturn from Office 07 to 2003 (Vista home and O2007)

I don't know why you couldn't, but I am puzzled as to why you don't like Office 2007, especially Outlook. It has more features than Outlook 2003, that I at least find very useful, but that is just MHO. There are add ins that will bring back the 2003 toolbar to Office 2007 as well. Maybe take a gander at one of those before un-installing Office 2007 and re-installing Office 2003. Here is just one: Classic Menus I haven't used any of these since I like the new user interface. I went to work for a company that is using Office 2003, and I wish there were an add in for 2003 to make it look like 2007.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,
    Don't mean to be a b..... session but I find Office 2007 to be a straight jacket. I use it for e-mail, calendar and as a contact manager and it is poor. Wrong edition maybe.

Anyway, the question is among other things, can the Outlook file be recast back to the 2003 PST file type? Can Outlook 2003 read the 2007 version of same. If it can I can save, I hope and put it back in. Suggestions how? Will it work? Any references to previous conversations in the Lounge or elsewhere?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 and 2007 use the same file format for .pst files, so you shouldn't have to convert your .pst file.

If you want to be able to use Outlook 2002 or earlier, you can create an Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File and copy all e-mails etc. to this file. See How to manage a .pst file for two different computers in Outlook.

Thanks

Hey no problem on B......Session. The answer would appear to be is yes according to this article since both 2003 and 2007 use unicode format. 830336
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 unicode PST files are unchanged for Outlook 2007; Outlook 2003 and I believe Outlook 2007 can read both Unicode and non-unicode PSTs. Outlook 2002 and prior cannot read Unicode PST files. Check via File | Data File Management, select each PST, click Settings, look in Format:

"Personal Folders File" will be a Unicode file which cannot be read by Outlook 2002 and prior
    "Personal Folders File (97-2002)" will be a non-Unicode file which can be read by all version of Outlook
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was the office Guinea Pig for Corporate's plan to upgrade everyone to Office 2007. Someone described it as a strait jacket and that is so accurate. What a miserable set of programs. Access was the worst, it would barely run. I did like the new Outlook, the only one of the group.

I just wanted to post and let you know what happened. Corporate IT has decided to hold off until next year to upgrade, hopefully they'll delay that again, so I asked them to take 2007 off my computer and go back to 2003. No problems and here is the interesting part, in Outlook, my customized toolbars were restored, just the same way that they were before I went to 2007. Not so in Word or Excel but I can live with that.

I applaud Microsoft for trying to improve their programs, this just wasn't the right improvements.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Our company is testing Office 2007 from the user perspective, and I'm not one of the user testers. Mostly I hear that the new menu systems have a significant learning curve. My wife has 2007 at work, spends most of her time in Word and likes it. (Her employer uses Novell Groupwise instead of Outlook, and she detests it.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS