3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro command in form (2002)

I have a field in the form that I want to show another form in "restore" size on top of the main form. I have created a macro using the macro helper that opens the secondary information form and restores it. I have put this in the On Click event. The only problem is that it also restores the main form, which I want to remain at maximum. Why is it doing this? How can I correct this?

Also, how do I position this secondary form to appear where I want it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro command in form (2002)

If you specify Dialog as WindowMode in the OpenForm action, you don't need to restore - the calling form will remain maximized and the called form will open restored.

You can use the MoveSize action (or DoCmd.MoveSize in VBA) to specify the position of the window in the On Load or On Open event of the called form.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. As usual, you come to the rescue. I tried the DoCmd.MoveSize. I wanted it to move 3 inches to the right, 2 inches down and have the default width and height.
    It looked like this ...

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    DoCmd.MoveSize (3,2,,)
    End Sub

To you it is probably obvious why it didn't work. To a novice like me, it is like unlocking the secret to the universe.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The syntax is right, it just the units that are wrong. It does not use inches. Instead it uses twips.

There are 1440 twips per inch, so the code probably did work, but the amount of movement was not detectable.

Try DoCmd.MoveSize (4320,2880,,)
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John Hutchison already supplied the solution.

If you look up the MoveSize macro action in the Access help, you'll see that it uses inches or centimeters, depending on your system setting.
    If you look up the MoveSize method of the DoCmd object in VBA, you'll se that it uses twips, as explained by John Hutchison, where 1 inch = 1440 twips.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help. First time I have heard of a twip! Hey, maybe I can use that one in the classroom. "You little twip." Funny that the Access help mentioned inches and centimetres, but not twips.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The help you refer to is for the macro action. That uses inches or centimeters, depending on your Windows system setting. The VBA method uses twips, and this is mentioned in the help for the VBA method.