Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore Crashing (XP/SP2)

I have looked at a lot of the system restore issues on this board and can't find my problem, which is, when I try to set a system restore point I get the standard error message, System Restore has encountered a problem and has to shut down. Do you want to send a report to Microsoft? I send the report and the dialogue box goes away.

I have tried to run Windows Repair from my CD and I don't seem to be able to fix this issue. I have checked Services and MSCONFIG and System Restore is set to start and run automatically.

I tried stopping and restarting the service but that doesn't seem to help. And on the System Restore of the System Properties dialogue System Restore is on. eg. the box to turn it off is not checked.

Not sure what the next trouble shooting steps should be.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Restore Crashing (XP/SP2)

It will be helpful if you write down error details (which look like senseless hexadecimal characters). Open Event Viewer (click Start > Run, type EVENTVWR and hit Enter) and found your error under Application or System. Double-click the event and you will see details in Description box.

There are some general suggestions which can solve your problem:

1. Check your drive for errors. Click Start > Run, type
    chkdsk /f
    hit Enter, confirm your choice and restart your computer.

2. Defragment your C: drive. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter, select your C: drive and click Defragment button.

3. Flush your Restore cache. Open System Properties (from Control Panel or pressing Windows and Pause/Break keys on your keyboard simultaneously), select System Restore tab, then check "Turn off System Restore on all dives" checkbox and click Apply button. Confirm your choice. When it is done, uncheck that checkbox and click Apply once again. Click OK and try to create a new restore point.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Restore Crashing (XP/SP2)

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide, or the 1-Click TagPanel, or even <!post=this StarPost.,438749>this StarPost.<!/post>

I completed steps 1 and 2 with no problems. I did the first part of step 3 and turned off System Restore on all drives as you described. When I try to restart System Restore, I click on the System Restore tab in the System Properties dialogue I get an error message: An exception occurred while trying to run "C:WINDOWSSystem32Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL SYSDM.CPL, System". The dialogue box closes I don't believe System Restore is running.

What is my next troubleshooting step?

OK. I found this article: Run DLL as App has encountered a problem" error when starting Windows XP System Restore and followed the steps listed and now have System Restore up and running again.

Thanks for your help.