Thread: UPS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

UPS

I have (2) APS CS500 UPS units that backup my system from somewhat frequent power outages. Now I've got a DishNetwork satellite receiver with a hard drive and DVR capability attached to a large screen LCD TV, that can also take a PC input. It seems that the satellite receiver is basically a computer with a tuner and hard drive, so would I have a problem using a UPS with it, and if so, how do I determine what size UPS to get? Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: UPS

Check the power consumption on the DVR. Then most UPS sites will have a tool to recommend something based on the consumption.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: UPS

Congratulations on getting a Dish ...

I have been using DirecTV and a separate TIVO Series I since 1996. I have had a an APC BE500U (500VA, 300 Watts) UPS on the Receiver and TIVO within 2 years due to power fluctuations. I do not plug the 37" TV into the backup portion of the UPS, just the continuously hot portion - providing surge and filtering protection.

Depending on the power requirements of your LCD Screen, you may need a second unit just for the LCD, or get a 1000 VA (~600 Watts) - 1500 VA (~865 Watts).

Grater minds in the lounge than mine cane provide a more precise calculation of what is needed. For me, I total the watts needed and add 30% - 50% for expansion and peak loads. This is probably more excessive then needed, but I would rather not be using 90-95% of the USP capacity on a daily basis.

BTB- APC BE500U was replaced with APC ES500.

HTH
    Scott