5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ribbon tab (Word 2007)

Is there a way to programmatically (VBA) activate the desired Ribbon tab? I would like the Add-Ins/Custom Toolbars tab (with legacy toolbars) to display when a new document is created. If the document's attached temlate has a custom toolbar, I'd like that to be visible. Currently, the Home tab is active when a new document creates.

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ribbon tab (Word 2007)

Sorry for the lack of replies. Apparently few people are trying to do this - I couldn't find anything in Google or the newsgroups.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ribbon tab (Word 2007)

I found that it simply can't be done. I went ahead and deleted the custom tollbars from my Word 2003 templates, saved the templates as 2007 .DOTM files, and used the Office 2007 Custom UI Editor to customize the Ribbon for my global and document templates. It wasn't difficult... just took a bit of perseverence. There's apparently no single reference for customizing the Ribbon, so I did a lot of digging and experimenting. After sorting through a dozen tutorials and magazine articles, I was able to accomplish my goals.

All of the cool things in Office 2007 are great.... but many of them are half-baked. Until there's an embedded versions of VSTA in Office applications, I'll stick with VBA and the Custom UI Editor. I find the results to be very satisfactory.

Richard