Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing Tool (Excel 2003 SP3)

I customize my excel tool bar by placing a "Close" icon next to the "Open" on the " Standard" toolbar. I may stay there for a day or two then it disappears and I have to customize it again. What is causing this and how can I correct it? BTW it was doing this long before I updated to SP3.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing Tool (Excel 2003 SP3)

Perhaps an add-in is interfering. Check out Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Some addin developers clean up their customisations by simply resetting the toolbar they modified. While that is an easy solution, it is impolite as it changes the user's configuration. So I agree with Hans that this is likely caused by an addin.

Another cause might be a corruption of your toolbar customisation file (see the article Hans pointed you to).
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you. I will check out the article. I only have one addin active and it is called "morefunc" which someone years ago from the lounge pointed me to. It may be the problem but, as I said, I have used it for a few years now. By the way this is a new machine and a new installation of Office 2003. Very little has been installed other than Office 2003 Professional version. It may be a corrupt file but I tried running an Office Repair even before I made the original post. Strange thing is that my customization will hold for a few days and then my "Close" button will disappear again.

Again, thanks and I will check out the link Hans gave me.
    H Lewton

Thanks

In addition to a the possible addin, a similar thing can be done with XLS files which customize the menu. The custom menus created and reset by "more novice" programmers are even more prone to just resetting than those that know how to create addins. Do you peridocially run a spreadsheet that has custom menus written by a friend or coworker?

Steve

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Steve,

No I don't run any programs made by anyone else but me. The only addin I do use is that "Morefunc" one I mentioned but I have it checked on all my machines and it never has caused me any problems.

I was reading over that link from Hans and I found 1 *.xlb file called Excel11.xlb. If I change the name as the link suggests and then start Excel again, does it get recreated?

One other thing the article says to do is run "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /Regserver. What does that do and can it cause any problems I don't have now?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you delete or rename Excel11.xlb, you'll start Excel without any toolbar customizations. Excel will automatically recreate the file; I'd try this first.

Starting Excel with the /regserver option will re-write the file associations for Excel; this doesn't seem relevant to your problem, so I'd hold off trying this for the moment.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I'll try to renaming the xlb file and see what happens. Problem it could be day before I know if it does any good.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well nothing seems to make it work properly even after I ran a Repair it still disappears but I never can predict when. The close icon may stay on the toolbar for 2 or 3 days but no matter how long it remains as it should it will eventually disappear. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If deleting Excel11.xlb doesn't help, and if you've ruled out add-ins (morefunc doesn't cause this problem) and COM add-ins, I have no further ideas (except uninstalling Excel, removing all traces of it and reinstalling). Sorry.

Thanks

To troubleshoot the "cause" of the problem, In addition to having the button on the standard toolbar, you might try creating a new toolbar and add the item and maybe additional items (a custom one and a builtin one) on the new toolbar.

1) If the new toolbar disappears when the button disappears from the standard, then there is an issue with the XLB file. It is either being overwritten by something or is corrupt in some way.

2) If the button disappears from the standard toolbar and the new toolbar is unchanged, there must be some macro code / addin, resetting the built-in toolbars and not touching the custom ones

3) If the button disappears from both toolbars, but the new toolbar remains, there is an issue with the button, but not the XLB file and it is different than a reset

The presumption has been "2", especially if you let XL recreate the XLB, and I still think the most likely cause of the problem.
    Steve

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both. I just created the new toolbar and added the close button to it. I will now have to wait and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,

I don't have any macro code running that I am aware of; certainly none that I have created since I don't really know how to do that. I only have the 1 addin and that is the "morefunc" there just aren't any others checked.

How would I find out if there were some macro code running that I am not aware of?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools | Macro | Security.
    Make sure that the security level is set to Medium. When you open a workbook containing macro code, you'll be prompted to enable macros. That way, you know when a workbook contains macros.
    Activate the Trusted Sources tab.
    Temporarily clear the check box "Trust all installed add-ins and templates". This may be a nuisance, but you'll get a prompt to enable macros in add-ins and templates too, which is useful while investigating the problem. You'll want to tick the check box again eventually.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well it must be the "morefunc" addin causing all the problems since it was the only thing checked and no macro code was running and the button disappeared but not the new toolbar. I need the "morefunc" so I guess I'm stuck with this erratic behavior. It still seems strange though that it doesn't happen consistently every time I open up Excel since the "morefunc" addin is always checked.

Thanks Hans for the tip on how to find out if there was macro code running.
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast