4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Several Questions About Attached Document (XP)

I am working on a consulting project for a publisher, creating PowerPoint slides for a textbook. Many of the figures are in PDF files but they had to send me some in Word files. I normally can figure out most things about Word but some of these documents (like the one attached) have raised several questions I just cannot answer. I am hoping someone can help me out.

1. Why I canít see graph in any view except print preview? Nothing in normal, web layout, print layout, or outline.
    2. Why selecting image at larger resolution and copying it to clipboard still pastes smaller image into PowerPoint?
    3. Why I can resize the image and get larger paste?
    4. Why will the image not paste into PowerPoint? I have to paste it into Paint and then copy from there to paste into PowerPoint. This is the most maddening thing about this document.
    5. Why do not all the objects in the chart copy to clipboard? I think this one is due to some type of layers but I am not sure. I can use PrtScn to get the entire chart to the clipboard.

I know this is a lot of questions. I have tried and tried and cannot figure them out and the only one I've really made any headway on is #5. Any help is appreciated.

Ronny
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Several Questions About Attached Document (XP)

1) Select Tools | Options...
    Activate the View tab if necessary.
    Make sure that the "Picture Placeholders" check box is clear (off).

If that doesn't help, it might be a problem with your video card/driver.
    First, make sure that you have the latest drivers for your video card.

Next, try the following:

- Open the Display Properties control panel (either by right-clicking an empty part of the desktop and selecting Properties from the popup menu, or through Start | Control Panel)
    - Activate the Settings tab,
    - Click Advanced.
    - Activate the Troubleshoot tab.
    - Drag the Hardware acceleration slider a notch or two to the left.
    - OK your way out.
    - If that doesn't help, repeat.
    - If it doesn't help at all, you can restore the original setting.

2/3. You can resize the picture in PowerPoint after pasting it as described in 4.

4. Try Edit | Paste Special... in PowerPoint (after copying the picture to the clipboard in Word).
    Pasting as an unknown object should work.
    (Pasting as a png, gif or jpg should work too, but the picture will not scale as nicely)

5. The person who created the Word document used the Drawing toolbar in Word to draw a horizontal line, an arrow, and a closing bracket on top of the picture. These elements (and the associated text) are not part of the picture. It's best to redo these elements in PowerPoint.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The pasting as unknown worked great, thanks. Number 5 makes complete sense. It is not the video or anything like this because I have the same issue on three different machines running two different operating systems. Clicking on Drawings under Formatting Marks on the View tab of Options causes it to be visible in Web layout and Print layout, which is good enough, but not in Normal or Outline. I suspect, many images are not shown in Outline view.

Thanks
    Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's a floating picture. Floating pictures are not displayed in Normal view and in Outline view.

Apart from that, this picture poses an extra problem because Word and PowerPoint don't know what type of picture it is.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That makes sense. And since Word does not what type of picture it is, it cannot load it into the Clipboard in a way that PowerPoint can read it. Paint, on the other hand, understands the picture and allows it to be pasted.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson