Star Lounger
    Thanks

FileMaker Pro (2.0 ov4`)

I was just hoping someone working with Access would have some insight into this database as well.

I've inherited an OLD database on MAC FileMaker Pro 2.0 ov4. I want to upgrade to the latest PC version and am curious about my data transfer. Can anyone give me any insight?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FileMaker Pro (2.0 ov4`)

Look on the box and see if it tells you the versions it can convert. The version numbers are usually different between the Mac and the PC, but the latest PC should be able to read or at least import the Mac version of the database back quite a ways. There may also be optional converters available for older data.

Your biggest issue will be how to read the Mac data in the first place unless it happens to live on a network drive. Otherwise, you may need a utility program to allow your PC to read Mac disks.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Version 2 is quite ancient, and there might be some conversion issues. Try this newsgroup:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=comp.databases.filemak er>comp.databases.filemaker</A>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have converted numerous FileMaker Pro databases to Access. It's a several-step process; basically: export all records from the FileMaker database to a tab-delimited text file, tablename.tab.
    In Access, Import the text file, making a New Table, tablename_FM.

It gets more complicated if the FileMaker table has repeating fields. You must first transform the table so that it does not have repeating fields - in effect creating a non-normalized table. Here's the procedure:
    Make a clone of the FileMaker db: