3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page Number 1.1 (Word 2007)

Has anyone used the page numbering features in Word 2007? I have a faculty member who needs help and previously I was able to help them format the pages with sections breaks to achieve 1.1, 1.2 - 2.1, 2.2, etc. I am having problems figuring this out in Word 2007. I am thinking that after we use it one time, we can save it as a quick part or add to the page numbering section to easily reuse.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Number 1.1 (Word 2007)

The following assumes that you have used Heading1 to indicate chapter titles, and that you have applied outline numbering.

Select Insert on the ribbon.
    Click Page Number.
    Select Format Page Numbers...
    Tick the check box "Include chapter number".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (22.7 KB, 3 views)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I checked and she did use Heading one. We have the "include chapter number" ticked but we receive the message
    "No chapter number to include in caption or page number.....To apply chapter numbers use multilevel list button on the Home tab and select a numbering scheme that is linked to the heading styles"
    I went to the multi level list icon and clicked on 1 heading 1, 1.1 heading 2, 1.1.1 heading 3 in the list library. I still receive the error message.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong.
    Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would seem that the user either didn't use the built-in Heading 1 style, or applied numbering incorrectly. I'd double check this.

If you wish, you can attach a copy of the document with most of the text removed (in particular sensitive or proprietary content), so that Loungers can investigate it directly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - see attached I really appreciate it. It looks like sometimes she used heading+1 centered, based on regular heading 1. Not sure if that helps or not...

Melanie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, the document has very inconsistent formatting.

The chapter titles for sections 1 through 4 have been formatted as Heading 1, but no numbering has been applied to these titles.
    The subsection title EDUCATIONAL CREDENTIALS has also been formatted as Heading 1, and simple numbering A, B, ... has been applied to it (not outline numbering).
    The next subsection title TEACHING/FACULTY BACKGROUND has been formatted as Heading 2, with the "number" B entered manually.
    The third subsection title OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE used Heading 1 again, and the "number" C has been enterd manually.

It goes on like this: section 5 uses Style 1, and section 6 uses Normal, etc. etc. etc. In short, it's a shambles - I apologize if that sounds harsh.

The attached zipped document is a very feeble attempt to make the numbering consistent. I haven't even begun to try to clean up the rest of the formatting, I just removed it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much - I will go over this and get back to her.

Appreciate it!!!
    Melanie

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well - the faculty member really likes what you did for her. I did go through and added the rest of the sections following your format. Somehow other members of the promotion/tenure committee found out and now I am receiving more requests on how to accomplish this. Do you think I should create a template or just delete the important information from the previous faculty members file and distribute as a regular document maybe with comments on how to add their own info? I am just looking for the quickest method to accomplish this because I really do not have time to dedicate to a project like this for every member of the committee.

Thank you again for your expertise.
    Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The simplest solution is probably to remove the specific information and make the result available as a document. People will have to edit it extensively anyway.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I value your expert opinion.

Have a good one.
    Melanie