Thanks

Speed Test Oddity (Speed test)

I have three hard drives on my PC. C is XP D is Win98SE and E is used for storage. I use a boot manager to go from one OS to the other. The reason I still keep 98se is because I have some games that cannot be played with XP etc. XP is set up as my primary OS. The odd thing is that when I do a speed test with the 98se hard drive I get speed test result of 5800+ down and 1800+ up. When I do a speed test with the XP hard drive I get a speed test result of 4900+ down and 1800+ up. Is the XP hard drive at fault here or could it be something else? The download speed on the XP hard drive is hardly noticeable when downloading something. I know these speed tests are not accurate but to see a difference of almost 1000 between each OS makes me wonder, why, shouldn’t they be very close in speeds? I know with 98se that what I have running in the background has allot to do with the operation of the PC. Does this hold true for XP too?

Attached are the results from a tweak test done with the XP Hd. I have set Drtcp to the Rwin number and the speed for the Xp is still around 1000 lower than the 98se.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Speed Test Oddity (Speed test)

I don't have the "Speed test" version of Windows, but hard disk speeds should have very little to do with internet download speeds. Under normal circumstances, the data transfer speed of a hard disk should far exceed that of your internet connection.
    But I wouldn't worry too much about it - the internet speed is usually rather variable.

Thanks

I still think 98se was a very stable os platform. Also is there any way to change the color of the text in the post?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use the 1-Click TagPanel link above the edit area of a post to insert color tags. For example, <!t>[blue]<!/t>some text<!t>[/blue]<!/t> will become <font color=blue>some text</font color=blue> when posted, and <!t>[red]<!/t>other text<!t>[/red]<!/t> will become <font color=red>other text</font color=red>.
    But be careful - since we have "skins" for the Lounge with different background colors, you run the risk that your colored text will be unreadable for some people because it is indistinguishable from the background.