Silver Lounger
    Thanks

ComboBox Challenged (XP)

I have attached a sample file which depicts my challenge; it's two-fold. Upon AUTO_OPEN pass to a variable the activefile.name and then when ComboBox1 is clicked, a message box appears displaying the activeworkbook.name. The second part of the challenge is when anything is typed in a cell including a cell clearcontents (by depressing the DEL key the message box appears.

It should be simple enough but is clear as mud.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ComboBox Challenged (XP)

Don't use the On Click event of the combo box for this. Why would you want to display the file name when somebody clicks on a combo box?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

My orignal file passes the oWB to the code attached to a ComboBox so that the code would appear as: Workbooks(oWB).Sheets("MySheet").Range("A2"). It is necessary to depict which workbook the sheet/range is in. If you recall from the threads above the code for the ComboBox was being run when a new workbook was opened by code. This will eliminate Excel's confusion as to which workbook the code is associated with.

It would appear that Excel's order of precedence is to test the code in the ComboBoxes prior to running any code in AUTO_OPEN. The sample file attached was to demonstrate that as well as the other challenge of typing something in a cell and having the message box popup.

I hope this explanation helps, if not please let me know and I will reword it.

Regards,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can inspect ActiveWorkbook at any moment, there is no need to set something when the workbook is opened. Alternatively, you can use ThisWorkbook - that will always refer to the workbook running the code, whether it is active or not.