Thread: U3 crashes

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

U3 crashes

I have a brand new desktop with Intel Core2 Duo E6550 on a MSI G33M motherboard with Windows XP Pro. Whenever I insert my U3 (Sandisk and Verbatim) USB drives, the system crashes and reboots by itself. When I insert a non-U3 drive, I have no problem at all. I am wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem.

thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: U3 crashes

What error do you get? Are you up-to-date with patches? Do you have the latest drivers for the USB device?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have vaguely heard of this happening to a couple of people, the complaint was from the software on the U3 drive itself. The drastic measure was to format the U3 drive of the native software. I agree with Joe, have you first updated the drivers/patches on your system ?
    Scott

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have applied all the patches available but they don't help. When I insert the Verbatim U3 USB drive, the Launcher program pops up, as it is supposed to be, and then stops. I cannot access to any program or Windows at all. I have to turn off the power to the PC. When I insert my Sandisk U3 USB drive, it automatically reboots my PC without any warning.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Forgive me if you have answered this in your last question, did applying all the available patches also include available USB drives Joe mentioned ?

Note: I have been doing some "Googles" on the U3 and have found numerous stories of it crashing the computer, alot associated with MAC and Visa machines - usually resulting in the U3 onboard software causing the problem.

I found one reference on the internet where a user was complaining about the exact same thing search jt miller on September 10th, 2007 2:06 pm about two thirds down the screen. The solution was to uninstall the U3 software: U3 Launchpad Removal.

If I see anything else, or can remember who I had talked to that had a similar problem, I will let you know.
    Scott

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Scott,

Yes I have applied the patches/updates to the U3 as well. And none of them helps at all. I have not tried to uninstall the Launchpad program yet but then the whole point of getting the U3 drive is to have the features in the Launchpad. Also, I have to be able to run the Launchpad program without it being crashed before I can uninstall it from the drive.

Thanks