Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Combo Box Order (2003 / 2000)

i have a combo box in my form header that selects a record. However, I would like the record list to be in descending order number order. The row source for the combo box is shown below, but when selecting the combo box it always comes out in ascending order. What am I doing wrong?

SELECT qryOrders.OrderID, qryOrders.[Order#], qryOrders.Company FROM qryOrders ORDER BY qryOrders.[Order#] DESC;

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Combo Box Order (2003 / 2000)

Your SQL looks OK to me. If you switch from SQL view to datasheet view what order are the records in?

I noticed in an earlier post that you mentioned changing Order# to a text field.
    Are the Order Numbers text values that look like numbers?
    Regards
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Well, that's weird! The data sheet view shows the order numbers in proper descending order. However, when I open the form and click on the combo box the order numbers are in ascending order. I thought perhaps it would work if I didn't specify the order in the combo box row source and let it use the underlying query for the entire form which is in descending order number order. However, no matter what I do, the combo box insists on displaying the ascending order!

Yes, I did change the Order# field to text because the client uses leading zeros in his order number.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have code that changes the RowSource of the combo box depending on some choice by the user?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know what to suggest.

The order of records in the combo box has nothing to do with the order of records in the form , so the row source of the combo must specify the order you want.
    Just to test what is going on can you change the order of the combo to something completely different using its row source?
    Regards
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You nailed it Hans,

Although the underlying query for the form was in descending Order# order, an "on load" event for the form executes a "set row source" command based on an argument passed from the calling form. I added "DESC" to the "set row source" SQL statements and that solved theproblem. Obviously the row source for the form was overriding the row source for the combo box.