Thread: Styles (2007)

Lounger
    Thanks

Styles (2007)

Unless the style of the current paragraph is in the top row of the styles palette, or you have the Styles Task Pane open, you have no way of seeing what that style is. In fact even if you open the full palette, not all the styles in the current template are shown.
    I've managed to add the styles I want to the palette from the task pane, and get rid of the ones I don't, and I seem to have succeeded in saving this to the template but it was quite a struggle. And I've managed to turn off the 'Live preview' thang which was driving me ape.
    But how the heck can you tell - at a glance - what the current style is? Word 2003 back to Word whatever had this on the formatting toolbar. What am I missing?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles (2007)

You can add the old Style dropdown to the Quick Access Toolbar:

Select Office button | Word Options | Customize.
    Select "Commands Not in the Ribbon" in the Category dropdown.
    Select the Style entry.
    Click the Add button, then click OK.

In Normal and Outline view, you can display the style in the Style Area on the left hand side - see Displaying the Style Area in MS Word 2007

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles (2007)

Many thanks. I'd forgotten about the Style Area - don't think I've ever used it, but the Styles drop down is just the ticket. I'm still puzzled, though as to why Redmond's finest, who have always encoraged us to use styles rather than direct character formatting provide a fonts dropdown (which shows the current font) but not a style dropdown that shows the current style without a click or keystroke. There's also the ever-useful Shift & F1