jgparker

importing tables from replicated database (Access 2000)

I'd like to import tables from a database that is replicated without retaining all the associated replication ID variables. I am a professor, and each year I create a new grade database. I wish to import all my old forms, queries, reports, and tables (sans records) from the previous semester. The imported tables retain the (previously hidden) replication IDs, etc. however. These unfortunately cannot be deleted. MS recommends using a "make table" query, omitting the replication variables. However, this also strips the new table of information on keys, captions, etc. Surely there is a sensible solution? help! thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: importing tables from replicated database (Access 2000)

Nope. Replication is largely a one-way street. The only way to get rid of those fields is to delete them yourself. Even the wizard that converts replicated database back to normal leaves those fields in.

Generally, I don't really approve of new databases for every year, but if you want to do this, you should have kept a copy of the original database before you converted it to a design master (actually, you should have kept a copy anyhow because design masters *fail*). Then instead of copying the replicated database, you would copy the original and create a new design master from it.
    Charlotte

hotbudare

You could use VBA/DAO to copy the structure of that table omiting (please excuse my english) the fields you dont want (need), and the use a very simple append sql.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I suspect your problem may lie with the fact that you used the replication ID as the key in some or all of your tables. This is generally a disastrous approach - we've been bitten by it more than once. This is true whether your tables are Jet 4 based or SQL Server/ADP. Using them as your key also has a negative affect on performance.
    Wendell

jgparker

Thanks everyone. I used the slow, cumbersome Make Table method. However, this time I saved the database before converting it to a design master so I would have a template for next year. Too, bad there isn't a more efficient way. Replication has its pitfalls, but when you are depending on a team of teaching assistants to keep up on the assignments and grades of 350 college students in a course, it is a necessary evil.