2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting More Than Three (Excel2000)

I'm having trouble sorting my spreadsheet. It has columns A to AE. All of the columns are not included in the sort.
    SortBy only gives me columns A to S--Thenby-- the same columns.
    How do I include all the columns?

Paul B

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting More Than Three (Excel2000)

Check whether column T is blank. Excel will automatically select a contiguous filled range for sorting. so if T is blank, it'll select a range in columns A through S.
    If you want to force Excel to take columns A through AE into account, select the entire range you want to sort before selecting Data | Sort.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That probably means that column T is empty at least the first cell in column T is empty. Either put something in T1, or select the entire area to be sorted before starting the sort.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The sorting procedure will only sort the data in a continuous area. If there is a gap in the columns (see example below), the columns on the other side of the gap will not be included in the sort. You need to select all column whose data you want to be included in the sort.

Columns 1 and 2 will sort together or column 4 will sort by itself. They will only sort together if all 4 columns are selected first.

<table border 1><td>Col1</td><td>Col2</td><td>Col3</td><td>Col4</td><td>a</td><td>1</td><td> </td><td>k</td><td>b</td><td>2</td><td> </td><td>j</td><td>c</td><td>3</td><td> </td><td>i</td><td>d</td><td>4</td><td> </td><td>h</td><td>e</td><td>5</td><td> </td><td>g</td><td>f</td><td>6</td><td> </td><td>f</td><td>g</td><td>7</td><td> </td><td>e</td><td>h</td><td>8</td><td> </td><td>d</td><td>i</td><td>9</td><td> </td><td>c</td><td>j</td><td>10</td><td> </td><td>b</td><td>k</td><td>11</td><td> </td><td>a</td></table>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You guys are right. Column T was empty.I inserted some data and the sort works ok. Thanks

Paul B