4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security Settings to Prevent Deletion

We store client files in a shared directory on a server with full access rights. Sometimes a grouping of directories will get moved. It's annoying but easy to move them back when it's spotted. But today two groupings of directories were deleted. Gone. I had to recover from last night's tape.

What security setting would I give that shared directory such that the Everyone group could create folders and create & edit files, but not have the ability to delete files or folders?

I'm not sure I've posted this in the right place so please feel free to move it if it goes somewhere else.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Security Settings to Prevent Deletion

On the server, you want to set permissions for one or more groups or users (not inherited permissions). Then using on the folder Properties | Security | Advanced | Permissions select the group or user and click EDIT. You should be able to enable/disable delete.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. I'm starting at the upper most shared folder. I went into Advanced, Edit and unchecked the boxes for Delete and Delete Subfolders and Files.

To spread the change down into the subfolders I assume on Advanced, Permissions tab I check the box for "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries here that apply to child objects" but I don't check the box "Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects." Right?

Would I also want to change ownership at this point to the network administrator account? Or leave ownership alone?

If it weren't such an important folder I'd experiment until I got the right combination of settings. But it's highly important because it hold all the client files. I'm gonna have to do this late at night when no one is accessing the files. It'll probably take some time to change all those folders and files.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Yes, if you want those rights to propogate to all the other objects.

I don't think you want to change ownership. That should not be necessary unless the owner won't have the access rights needed after your changes.

Can you create a folder, subfolders, and files on which to experiment before wreaking your havoc on the production stuff? I'd try that and can get a couple of users to test your changes.

Joe
    Joe