Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word cannot create the workfile (Word 2007)

Hi folks,
    Here's one that giving me a problem.
    I have two accounts on my PC, mine and my Girlfriend's. Word 07 works perfectly on my account but on her account, she cannot save a document. When she clicks the Word 07 icon the Word splash screen comes up and this error message shows: "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable", with just an OK button. If I click the OK button, Word starts and looks normal. At this point I can type some text and click the magic button in the upper left and select Save As but the Save As dialog box does not appear. If I try to close the document at this point the "Do you want to save the changes" box comes up but If I hit yes nothing happens. The only way to close is to hit the no button and lose the document.
    I deleted the Normal.dotm and reopened Word, No good.
    I copied the normal.dotm from my account and pasted into her account, no luck there either.
    I scanned for virus (AVG) and spyware (super Antispyware and AdAware) and found nothing but some tracking cookies.
    I'm kind of at a loss here. I don't really want to reinstall and deal with the activation nonsense, and I cant find the repair option.
    Any ideas folks?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word cannot create the workfile (Word 2007)

First, check that your girlfriend's Temp folder is set correctly and that she can access it. The default location in Windows XP is

Cocuments and Settings<username>Local SettingsTemp

You can find the actual location as follows:
    - Right-click My Computer.
    - Select Properties from the popup menu.
    - Activate the Advanced tab.
    - Click Environment Variables.
    - Click on Temp, then click Edit to see the full path (if necessary).

If that doesn't give a clue, try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I knew I could count on you. I will try your suggestion when I get home tonight.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi folks, just an update.
    PC melted down completely. Apparently my first post was just the tip of the iceberg. I keep XP updated, have antivirus and firewall (also updated), but something got through and attacked my HD controller. Had to reinstall XP and Office 07. Everything else was on backup.
    BTW re-activation (which I dreaded) was a snap. Just answered yes when asked if I want to activate now and it was done.
    Anyway, thanks for the reply Hans.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! Glad you're up and running again.