Thread: SQL Server 2000

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Server 2000

Hi,

Im not sure that Im in the right place, but, Ive a user trying to gain access to a SQL2000 server database, via the Enterprise manager on his desktop. All had been working fine and he was looking at views in one particular database, then out of the blue he cant gain access. He can only go as far as seeing the SQL Server group in the tree and nothing underneath as he use to be able to, ie the list of databases.

There is a possibility that the old SQL administrator my have done something to block him, but he has since left and it is now necessary for this user to look at the required database again.

Im not really familiar with SQL2K or SQL in its entirety, is there something specifically I should be checking ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards.
    Lee

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SQL Server 2000

Hi Lee

It spometimes happens through various network glitches and the server becoming unregistered. Get your colleague to open Enterprise Manager and open the Console Root by clicking the + sign then

1) Click Microsoft SQL Servers
    2) Click SQL Server Group
    3) RIGHT hand click this group and
    4) Click New SQL Server Registration

This will start the SQL Server Registration Wizard. Here they can go through the wizard, either selecting it from the network list or manually typing it in. The Wizard is quite straight forward. Probably best to get in contact with the SQL DBA to ensure they have the relevant permissions if this does not work.
    Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SQL Server 2000

Excellent, thanks Jerry. I'll give it a go, have to be Monday now as he has gone home...Part-timer..lol !!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Lee