New Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for extra row (2003)

O.k...I have 2 spreadsheets with the same data on them. However 1 has an extra row of data that shouldnt be there.
    Is there a quick way I can get excel to pick out the rows from spreadsheet A that aren't also in spreadhseet B - therefore highlighting the "rogue data"
    Many Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Looking for extra row (2003)

Is there a column or combination of columns that uniquely identifies the rows?

Thanks

I can see several approaches, depending on the data. A simple approach is using MATCH (with a "match type" of zero to find exact matches)

If you have a unique value in each row, you can use MATCH to look for this value in the appropriate column of the other sheet. Any MATCH yielding an NA error is not in the other sheet....

If you must match several columns, you could concantenate several columns in each sheet to make a unique column and then do a match with each of these columns on the concatenation in the other sheet.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

how would i use match?
    Essentially each row corresponds to a persons results on a series of tests.
    One spreadsheet has 528 rows, one has 527. but the issue is that the rows aren't necessarily in the same order in both spreadsheets so its not just an additional row tacked on to the bottom.
    I want to find the row (i.e set of test results) that aren't in the other spreadsheet.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a column with the name of the person, or an ID number or something like that?

New Lounger
    Thanks

i managed to do it based on match. what i did was i summed all their test results (on th assumption that this would give the individual a unique score, likely as i have 6 results some of them scored down to the decimal level) then i compared the 2 sum columns using match and found the one that came out as N/A. so that was good. then when i looked at the original database I could pick them out. Many thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you were able to solve it.