Lounger
    Thanks

Personal Web Server (Front Page 2000 SR-1)

I've been using Front Page for some time and I have never understood the use of a Personal Web Server. My understanding is that you need it if you plan to host your web on your own computer. If you are going to host it on a hosting site that offers Front Page server extentions, then you do not need the PWS. But I also read that in order for you to know if your html dynamic components are working, that you need to have the PWS installed as well as the server extentions.

Another question on this subject is that when I create a submittal form, and I insert the e-mail address of the recipient for the form (on form properties) it tells me that my site is a disk based site and that the e-mail won't work...but it always does work. I am a bit confused.

Next, my desktop computer runs on Win98. I just got a new laptop that came with Win2000. If I need the PWS, how do I get it? Win2000 won't let me install if off of the Win98 CD, and I can't find it on the Win2000 CD.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this is a complicated problem, at least for me.

Thanks for any advice that I can get on this.

Thanks

Re: Personal Web Server (Front Page 2000 SR-1)

1) The main job of a web server - any web server, is to find the document that the user has requested (usually by clicking on a link) and send it back to them. The kind of web server and its' capabilities have a big impact on your web site.
    FrontPage not only creates the HTML for your web page, but it has a number of prebuilt scripts (programs) that you can insert for other functions in your page. Without FrontPage, you'd have to get these scripts from your ISP or other sources, and many ISP's are particular about the scripts that they allow to run on their servers for performance and security reasons.
    Consider the hit counter for a moment, it is a good example of what I'm talking about.
    When you ask for a page that has a hit counter on it, the web server locates that page and runs the hit counter program. The hit counter program takes the number of times the pages has been requested adds 1 to it and gives that number to the web server. The web server adds that number to the web page where the hit counter wants it to display. Now what the FP Server Extensions do (in this scenario) is to enable communication between the web server and the hit counter program. Without the Server Extensions, the hit counter program would never be triggered. Without the WebServer the count would not be placed on the web page and delivered back to the browser.
    Now, do you need the PWS on your local computer? Only you can answer that, but most people like to test their site before uploading it to their ISP. However, it is certainly not a requirement.
    For the relevant Knowledge Base article - check this out. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q232/5/24.ASP>FP2000: Features That Require FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions(Q232524)</A>. If it requires server extensions, it would also require a server.
    True dynamic html components (DHTML) do not require either a web server or server extensions, because DHTML is rendered by the browser, not a web server.

2) When testing an email response to a form - your tests may work because you have your email set up on the machine. This has more to do with your individual configuration than anything else. The difficulty usually comes when you transfer your site to your ISP. Now the ISP's web server has to transfer incoming mail to your mail account - see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=front&Number=34352&Sear ch=true&Forum=front&Words=&Match=StarPost&Searchpa ge=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=34259>this post</A> for more information.
    3) What version of Win2000? ME, Professional?

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Personal Web Server (Front Page 2000 SR-1)

Hi again Catharine,

Thanks for all the information. Just for your information, I am running my desktop computer with Win98 and Office Suite 2000 Premium. So I design all my sites from that computer. I have just purchased a new Dell laptop Latitude which I will use as my second desktop machine. I purchased a docking station with it just for that purpose and for checking my websites.

I think I have been fretting over this server extension thing for too long. I do believe I understand what this is all about now. As long as I publish to an ISP who has FP 2000 server extensions installed (and I always do), then I am in pretty good shape. I've created many interactive forms and they have always worked as well as my e-mail links, counters and all else. I do see the point in checking things before publishing, but I have a hosting site that I use for that before publishing to the client's host.

I do understand how your web can "feed" off of your computer where it was created. I had that problem with graphics not being saved properly many moons ago. So I do check my webs on my laptop which has no connection to my main computer.

I must say that I read a lot of manuals, but find that the clearly written info on Web servers is lacking. It would be nice if the manuals would start out with a statement something like: "If you are going to publish to a hosting site/ISP who runs FP...server extensions, then there is no need to install the web server or server extensions on your own computer. It is just a nice way for you to check your components to make sure they are working". Then they could go on and explain all the hoopla about all of this to those who plan on hosting their own web site.

Personally I am sold on Front Page. Other than for those who design humungous sites that are very very involved, I am surprised that everyone doesn't use it. I find it very easy to use and almost foolproof.

Thanks again for all the information. It was greatly appreciated and I read it all.

Marilyn