New Lounger
    Thanks

Create an Association (Vista 6.0.6000)

Good Day to all you nice answer people here in Ask Woody:
    I have a slight glitch in my Windows Mail application and perhaps you folks can give me some guidance. The good people in Windows Discussion have supplied their suggestions, but with no luck so far.
    The problem is this: Whenever I receive an e-mail message with a respond link or a 'click-to-view' link (such as I got yesterday from Ask Woody on another subject) I click the link and I get a message telling me that Windows does not recognize the program that created the message and I have to create an association. Now, this is not a catastrophe because I can open the site that generated the message and find the reponse that was generated or, as in the case of a new forum site at my university, I can contact the webmaster and provide the info required. However, I have found that with Microsoft, small glitches have a bad habit of becoming big problems. The anomaly seemed to appear after I had to wipe my HD and reinstall the Vista OS. ( I was in the process of resetting my computer to the Dell Factory Settings to get rid of Nero 7 which was corrupting a whole host of files and would not completely uninstall) Part way through the reset, we had a major power outage and the computer was in limbo. It wouldn't reboot nor could I get into any Dell repair functions, These are the steps I have taken in an attempt to elliminate the glitch:
    1. I made sure that Windows Mail was set to send and receive in HTML. (It was.)
    2. I checked the associations control panel and it tells me Windows Mail is the associated program.
    3. I checked the default buttons and they are greyed out which I assume means Windows Mail is the default program. ( I don't have any ther mail program installed so it must be the default application.)
    4. I uninstalled my spyware program. It is back on but without immunization.
    5. I ran Windows Installer Cleanup, but it shows only programs I want running.
    6. I ran my AV program.
    7. I restored to a date previous to the latest Windows Mail update I had installed.
    8. I ran disk check.
    9. I contacted Dell and they had never heard of this glitch an couldn't help
    So, right now I've used up all the options this poor feeble brain can come up with. If any of you Vista gurus out there have a solution, I would appreciate it. I won't be able to click a link to see it, but if it's posted here I'll come in to take a look and give it a try.
    Best Regards
    Powell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create an Association (Vista 6.0.6000)

Were you using Windows XP I would ask if you have a default web browser set in Control Panel Internet Options. However I don't know if Vista is the same.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create an Association (Vista 6.0.6000)

To Gfamily:
    It is amazing how a person's brain can get locked into looking for the obscure when the obvious is right in front of them. As soon as I read your message I knew what I had missed. Everything is working just fine and I have wasted a whole day, not to mention your time. It's a good thing I wasn't looking for rattlesnakes! Thank you muchly. Your answer is very much appreciated.
    Best regards
    Powell