2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update and TeaTimer (XP SR2)

Hello Everybody,

About a month ago I discovered that I was unable to access the Windows Update site. Automatic Update is turned off and I hadn't been able to manually download updates since July. Tried researching the error number (0x80070020), but Update's troubleshooting didn't list it, and the Lounge was offline. Finally found Windows Update's user forum, where it was thoroughly discussed. Seems that Spybot's TeaTimer was the cause of this error message. Advice was to turn it off and try again. That worked and Update is functioning normally.

Question is, TeaTimer is still turned off, and I'm not sure if I can turn it back on. Although it gave me plenty of messages to think about, I wasn't always sure what it was telling me. But I especially miss the message that something was trying to insert itself into the Startup, and I had the chance to "Deny" that move. Are there any TeaTimer users? Does it continue to interfere with Windows Update? Is it essential/helpful enough to turn back on?

As always, thanks for your help.
    Kris

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Update and TeaTimer (XP SR2)

I had the impression that Teatimer slowed down my computer and I found it rather obtrusive, so I disabled it over a year ago, and never missed it. My scheduled scans for viruses, spyware etc. haven't found more items since, so the other forms of protection I have are sufficient, apparently.

Thanks

Kris,
    I tried TeaTimer and experienced about the same problems as Hans.
    I disabled it and never reinstalled it with any of the updates.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I feel better now that I'm not missing any protection by leaving TeaTimer disabled.
    Kris